The Invitations

It was early in the morning at the SandWing Stronghold. The birds were chirping, the cicadas were playing their beautiful music, and Qibli was hunting.

   Yep, that's right. The SandWing was out and about since before sunrise. You see, this was no air headed, lazy royalty. Food should be hunted. It wasn't often that he rushed his hunts, but he woke up late this morning, at least on his standards. There needed to be lizards in his pouch quick. In order to not offend some innocent dragons, he needed to be back before the hunting parties came out. Some of them were very, very touchy. Besides, the rogue wasn't hunting for the whole stronghold. He merely enjoyed chasing his breakfast. Speak of the devil, a whole lot of blue flashes went off in his peripheral vision. Qibli had just located a lot of blue ones. If the creepy crawlies had any chance of escape, it was gone now. He loved blue lizards. Oh, yes! Qibli thought to himself. My favorite. This is going to be a good day. He had no idea how right he was.

=+=+=

     Winter was just waking up in the Rainforest. Despite the fact that he hated the environment, it was the only place that accepted him. Besides the Sand Kingdom of course. Sure, he missed Qibli -- even though he'd never admit it-- but the heat was unhealthy for him. And a plus to the Rainforest, he got to see Moon a lot on breaks and summers. Unfortunately, she was at their friend Turtle's place. It was kind of a Turtlejou date. Moon wasn't exactly invited, but Kinkajou forced her to come along, or as she threatened, "If you don't come, you'll never hear or see Turtlejou! Your precious ship will never kiss!" Winter had jumped in and said that would be wonderful. Then Kinkajou just retorted "You don't understand, Winter. There are people that are way super obsessed with me and Turtle. Just ask Tamarin." So he did, and she just screamed with shipping joy.

     So Winter wasn't very excited to hear that scream again, let alone in the morning. "Winter!! Winter Winter Winter!! Get up!" Winter just stayed quiet. Hopefully she'll think I'm not here. "I know you're in there!" Shoot. "I'm not getting up, Tamarin. Go away and bug Jambu for all I care." Winter responded coldly. "But there's a letter for you! It's from Turtle!" Now, that got his attention. Moon was with Turtle, so, what if something happened to her? What if Turtle sent a letter that an assassin had gotten Moon? Jumping up from his mat, Winter bolted for the door. He opened to see an excited Tamarin waiting. "Hand it over." Winter demanded. "Now hold up." Tamarin exclaimed, putting the letter just out of his reach. "It's labeled for both of us. Can you read it to me?" With a groan, Winter responded. "Fine. I will. Now open it up."

=+=+=

Just a little closer... a little closer... GOTCHA! Qibli thought as he snatched the last lizard up and into his pouch. Back to base now. Oh, crud. The sun is higher than I thought. Run. He bolted for the Stronghold as fast as his talons could carry him. Over the creek, through the Nekatu Oasis and under the secret tunnel that led from the outdoors to his bedroom. He spotted the lever and ran. All of the sudden, the hunters started charging straight out of the front gate, just in view of the tunnel. Crud. Now I have to wait.  The SandWing was almost spotted, but he ducked away just in time. It seemed like an hour had gone by when the hunters got out of seeing range. He squatted down, and opened the hatch. It was dark, pitch black in fact. He didn't like the dark, but Qibli knew that this is what it took to hunt your own food. He crawled in, having his poisonous tail close the exit. There didn't have to be light in order for this dragon to know where to go. He had muscle memory of just the amount of steps it took to get there. 1, 2, 3, right, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, left, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, up, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and open the hatch. The inside part of the hatch -- the one on his bedroom, at least -- could only be opened by Qibli's tail barb. He stuck it in, fiddled with the lock, then emerged into his room. "Ahhh. That was close. Almost got spotted." Then he realized that he had been found, because he wasn't alone in his room. "Shoot."

=+=+=

"What does it say? Please tell me Turtlejou kissed! Please tell me that's what it says!" Tamarin was pestering Winter like the end of the world. "Relax. Let me read it. It says, 'Hi Winter and Tamarin! Now I know you're expecting a hey what's up see you soon bye but this is actually an invitation. Moon doesn't realize it, but if she doesn't choose which of Qibli and Winter she wants, a war could start. So we have come up with an idea to  fix that. We are having a tournament between both of them, in the Bay of a Thousand Scales, at a secret grotto. You don't have to know where it is, just come to my house and I'll take you there. We are sending this to a few inner circle people, so there will be a small audience. Tamarin is invited for the audience, and Winter for the tournament. See you soon, bye!'" Tamarin was bouncing out of her scales. "YAY!! SHE'S FINALLY GONNA PICK ONE!! YAY!! I'm gonna go grab my stuff, tell people I'm leaving, then we'll meet up here and leave. Yippeeeee!!!" Tamarin yelled and she bounced away. Winter stood there, speechless. Moon, wants me, to compete, with Qibli, for her hand. IMPOSSIBLE. He just stood there, not moving, staring at the letter. Finally he jolted and ran to pack what he'd need. Let's see, a few oranges, the necklace I've been making, a couple chakrams, rope, and one knife. That should be enough to win. There was a knock at the door. "Winter, are you coming?" Tamarin inquired eagerly. He shoved the stuff in his bag and came out. "Lets go."

=+=+=

"I'm guessing I'm in trouble, aren't I?" Sunny laughed, "No, no, no. You're not in trouble. I won't tell anybody." Qibli was relieved beyond comprehension. "Thank you!" He gasped. He was still panting from going so fast. "Wait, then why are you here?" She held out an envelope. "It's from one of your JMA friends, Turtle." He immediately grabbed the letter and ripped open the envelope. "'Hi Qibli! I know you're expecting a Hey how are you doing, see you soon, but this is actually an invitation. You know that Moon needs to choose which one of you and Winter. If she doesn't, there could be war like Winter has threatened. So The rest of the Jade Winglet plus Peril (because we are replacing Carnelian with her) have come up with a tournament. You are invited as a contestant and you can bring one other dragon with you for the audience. We have already invited some inner-circle people to be an audience. It will take place at a secret grotto in the Bay of a Thousand Scales. I'll lead you there from my house, just show up. Best of luck, Turtle.'" Qibli was speechless. They stood there for what seemed like an eternity. Sunny broke the silence, "Well... am I invited?"