Return to the Turnabout, Part 4

January 26

Courtroom No. 1

12:30 PM

Deirdre Brigit

When we got back into the courtroom, the people in the gallery were chatting as obnoxiously as they always had. I looked over to Mr. Morix, a frown on my face. I still didn't understand any of what he had been hinting at out in the lobby. His words had been cryptic and vague. I had grown used to him being open with me after the case with Interpol the year before, but now, he was going right back to where we had started. It was frustrating, to say the least.

Judge Diaphan smacked her gavel down on the bench before her. "Court is back in session for the trial of Aria Claris," she announced. "Is the defense ready?"

I nodded. "The defense is ready," I replied.

"The prosecution is also ready," Prosecutor Lin chimed in, a small smile on her face. She had a triumphant look to her eyes, which already had me nervous. If the witness had some evidence that worked in the favor of the prosecution, it was going to be extra difficult to wrap things up. I would have to find a way to figure this out no matter what, and I knew I would get there eventually, but I didn't want to take any longer than we already had.

"Did the prosecution speak with the witness?" Judge Diaphan questioned, looking over to Prosecutor Lin and Prosecutor Burke. "I hope he arrived in time to testify..."

"We did talk to him, as a matter of fact. He's here and ready to talk to us about what he saw the day of the murder," Prosecutor Burke nodded. "If there are no objections, the prosecution would like to call him to the witness stand to testify about his involvement at the scene of the murder."

"The defense has no objections," I said quickly, eager to hear what he had to say. If he attempted to defend himself, then we would have proof to lash back at him with. All we had to do was test his fingerprints and see if they matched those found on the switch of the basketball goal. Plus, there was Ms. Claris' bottle to consider. If it was evidence only known by her and the killer, then we could catch him if he slipped up about it. It would only take one misstep for him to fall into our trap.

"Go on, Prosecutor Burke," Judge Diaphan instructed.

"The prosecution calls Denton Barr to the witness stand," Prosecutor Burke announced.

A man appeared at the stand a few seconds later. He had dark hair that swept low over his face. His hands were shoved in his pockets. I could see him messing with some cylindrical object in one pocket, but I couldn't tell what any of the details were. He had a baggy jacket on that hid most of his figure. He had sweatpants on as well. They were large and sagged, hiding even more of his body. His tennis shoes were ragged and torn up. Judging by the way he was dressed, he hadn't been expecting to come and testify in a courtroom. That didn't surprise me with what we had heard from the prosecution up until this point.

"Please state your name and occupation for the court, witness," Judge Diaphan demanded, her gaze harsh as she regarded him. I could tell she was suspicious of him, but I couldn't tell what she thought he did. If she thought he had pulled the switch, then she was certainly hiding her enmity for a potential murderer rather well. Granted, we hadn't proved yet that he was guilty, but I still know I would have been a bit more fired up than she was.

"Denton Barr," the man responded. He looked up at me and Mr. Morix, causing me to realize his eyes were a dark brown. He glared at us, looking ready to lunge for our throats. "I'm currently unemployed, though I'm going to interviews where possible."

"Mr. Barr, we have reason to believe that you changed the position of the basketball goal at the time of the crime. The person who flipped the switch on the basketball is under suspicion of committing a crime," Judge Diaphan remarked, still frowning darkly. Perhaps she wasn't hiding her anger as well as I had thought. "We require your testimony to ensure that you did or did not change the position of the goal. Be honest. The court will discover the truth if you are lying."