Chapter 4

(a/n)Okay so like old readers(before 22nd April 2020), I am sorry for the super duper late update but before you continue. Please read everything again as I had rewritten the story(not like you would be able to remember what had happened lol) I have no excuses for why this had taken so long because my excuses are shit.

Thanks so much for the comments and votes! Can't believe people like my shitz though hehe. So happyyyyy.

Two years later.

I peeked out from a corner, trying to look out for Etoka, not realising he was behind me. "Hello there^^" I nearly jumped and forced a neutral face on as I turned to face him. "Hahaha, I found you Aoi and you don't need to pretend I know I scared you."

Sighing, I decided to ignore him and walked to the dining hall leaving him behind to pout and whine. "Good morning dad." I greeted him as I sat down on a seat.

"Ah, Aoi. Good morning to you as well, how was your sleep? Oh, are you excited as well?" I thanked a servant after she placed my breakfast in front of me before replying.

"Good. And of course." He sighed at the few words spoken and shook his head to himself.

"DAD! AOI WAS SO MEAN!" Etoka charged into the hall suddenly, nearly causing me to choke on the water I was drinking. Dad gave me the stink-eye while I silently faced away from him. "Yes Etoka? What did Aoi do now?" I sat silently, trying to finish my food and get away before Etoka could finish his long, exaggerated story.

Just as I tried to sneak away, he finished and I was caught just inches away from freedom.

"Etoka...I know you probably exaggerated some things...but you do not need to make a big fuss about it alright? And Aoi. As I have told you many many times before please don't ignore others.... And....don't push potential friends away because of what had happened later alright?" He said exasperatedly and sadly.

I stiffened on my spot, his words causing the memories to rush back and hit me hard in the gut.

"Help! Somebody! Please!"

Shaking my head, I snapped out.

"Yea...I know. I...just need more time. I'm sorry..." I forced a smile onto my face, inwardly knowing that I would not be able to.

Dad stared at me trying to figure out if I am really telling the truth. But, I had gotten so used to putting up masks from my past life till now that basically he could not tell the difference anymore. He dismissed me, letting me free.

I struggled to manage to make it to my room and collapsed on the floor moments after I had entered.

"No! STOP!"

"AHHHHHH"

"RUN!"

I sobbed and tugged at my hair trying to get my mind off the memories.

"Please...gEt...OuT!" My belongings scattered as my magic acted up, tossing my organised room into a mess and increasing the temperature drastically.

I tried to calm down, desperately gasping for air which seemed unable to enter.

"No. No. NO."

"AOI!" A voice managed to cut through the darkness that I seemed to be in. "AOI! SHIT! Please open the door!"

"Et-Etoka?" I managed to call out.

"Yes! It's me! Please open up!"

Managing to raise my hand, I pointed at the door and used the air to help open it. Etoka rushed in immediately, spotting my figure on the floor. He rushed over ignoring the mess and hugged me tightly.

I broke down again, tears flowing down my cheeks never endingly.

"Stupid. Stupid Aoi. You really think I can't tell you are lying? Dad might not, but I'm your goddamn brother damn it." He scolded me softly as he tried to wipe away my tears gently.

I tried to speak over my sobs. But, he gave me a glare signalling that he wasn't finished just yet.

"And you idiot! You are still thinking everything's your fault right! Dumbass, you, dumbass! She saved your life! She wouldn't want-Hey! Why are you laughing!"

Somehow, my sobs turned into laughter upon seeing his genuine worry for me.

I stood up slowly ignoring his protests, turned to him and said, "I have one place to visit before we go...want to go together?"

His protests died down knowing what I was talking about and silently nodded his head. Breathing in deeply, I turned to the door and proceeded onwards to the garden outside.

In the glow of the rising sun, there sat the beautiful yet cold grave of our mom. I traced my hands gently over the letters inscribed, knowing by heart what it said.

"Here lies Ichika Ashikaga, the greatest mother of all times. Kind, joyful and caring. It was like she was the epitome of all good words. Having willingly s-"

"Aoi? You all right?"

I nodded my head, signalling to him that I needed to say some words to mom. He moved away, out of hearing distance but still within sight of me.

Taking in a deep breath, I began.

"Mom..." I tried not to choke as I continued. "I'm finally starting today with Etoka. Of course feeling excited and all. But, you would have been the most excited wouldn't you? Haha...the whole house would have been decorated." I slowly sat down, fingers still on the grave.

".....I'm trying mom...but it's so hard. I wish you were still here. With us. The whole family together laughing, smiling, celebrating,crying and just getting through one day after another together. But it's impossible now isn't it?.....Th..thank you for eve....everything mom. Thank you so so mu..much."

I broke into sobs unable to hold it in, tears landing on the gravestone and splattering everywhere.

.

.

.

As Aoi broke into sobs again, Etoka went over to his crouched figure and slowly reached out to him, wrapping his arms around him and hugging him close. Aoi, in response, burrowed his head into his neck and brawled, tears quickly soaking up his shirt, while Etoka too, let himself go.

The sobs continued for a long time before the calls of Daisuke(dad) reached them.

"We...gotta go now Aoi." Etoka shaked him gently and summoned his water magic to help clean both of their faces from their tears, yet unable to hide the redness of their eyes.

"A few more words Etoka...sorry." Shaking his head in response, they both stood together facing the last resting spot of their mom.

Etoka went first,seeing that Aoi was preparing himself.

"Mom....we will be leaving now and won't be back for a period of time. Rest assured I will take care of Aoi. Afterall, I'm his big brother right? Don't be sad alright? We will be back soon before you know it to annoy you again." He trailed off mockingly with a sad laugh. A few stray tears escaping before he backed down allowing Aoi to speak.

"Mom. I'm sorry. I-...We will be leaving soon for school and as Etoka said, not being able to come back for a while. Don't worry everything will be alright. Etoka will be there with me and be able to help me adapt......I..love you mom." Aoi rushed the last few parts out hurriedly, preventing himself from crying again.

Having said their farewells, they both trudged off slowly into the new start of their lives the sun casting a warm glow onto their backs.

If only they had looked back, for if they had done so would they be able to see Ichika smiling at them gently and proudly as they walked away.