Chapter 6: Ma Sab Jaanti Hai!!

Ok... so tomorrow is my engagement but I am up chatting with my future wife.

Me: Hey!

Meenakshi: Hi! Up till now?

Me: Yes... Couldn't sleep!

Meenakshi: Having cold feet?

Me: Umm... Yeah kind of! Aren't you nervous?

Meenakshi: Of course I am and you are not helping at all. Anyway... So how is everybody else?

Me: They are great. Very excited. What are you going to wear tomorrow?🙂🙂

Meenakshi: It's a lehenga. And this is the fifth time I am telling you this.😒

Me: I know. It's just... I am...😟

Meenakshi: Nervous. I know! I think you need some rest. Go to sleep. It's too late.

Me: Yeah. Goodnight.😊

Meenakshi: Goodnight. 😊

With this I locked my phone and lied on my bed gazing at the stars outside my window.

I... I like her a lot. She is genuine, she is caring and I connect with her easily. But somewhere, I am scared. Scared of the thought what if I am not good enough for her. What if she deserves someone better?

At least in love marriage both know each other but here I am not sure about anything. I talk to her every night but there is a small corner of my brain which says she won't like me.

Sleep was miles away from me so I got up to drink water. On the way to the kitchen, I bumped into ma.

"Agneesh, you are awake till now!! Tomorrow is your engagement... You should go to sleep now!" She looked at me with concerned eyes.

"Hmm ma... Just came for water." I sat on the stool and poured a glass for myself. Ma sat in front of me.

"What is it?"

"Nothing! Why?" I said not able to make eye contact with her.

"I guess you are having cold feet?"

"How did you..." I looked at her confused as she smiled.

"Ma sab jaanti hai!" (Mother's know everything!)

"Mom it's too weird. It's as if I don't even know her yet and I am about to get engaged to her. It's just so scary. I will have so many responsibilities from now. Moreover she is Rishabh's sister. We all know how much short tempered and over caring he is when it comes to family. I don't know what to do? " I sat with my head in my palms.

Ma came behind me and slowly massaged my shoulders thus easing me up.

"Dear it's normal to feel this way. Me and even your father felt the same at some point of time. You like her. Right!? You are comfortable with her and sometimes I catch you smiling when you are talking to her or see you blushing while chatting with her." The last part made me alert and I sat up.

"You are spying on me? This is really inappropriate, ma!" I asked her with a frown and she gave a sheepish smile.

"Try accidentally over hear!" She said with a bit of red on her face.

"No let's go by my word. Accept that you were spying." I said amused.

"Ok... I was. But it's necessary when you have to marry off a guy with absolutely no history with girls except maybe a few dates here and there." She said and my eyes widened.

"How do you..." I trailed off. She can't know about my dates or she would have killed me asking about it repeatedly.

"Ma sab..."

"Yeah right, ma sab jaanti hai!!" I said rolling my eyes at her.

"I know it will be a new experience for both of you. It can be scary but it won't be that bad. Believe me. You know just like girls want a guy with attributes like her father... Same way guys want a girl who somehow resembles his mother." She continued and I took a deep sigh. Still confused.

"Ok just tell me why do you like her?" She said not backing out.

"Because she has same level of innocence and maturity in her." Hearing my answer, ma's smile widened.

"You know these were the exact same words your father had said about me." I was a bit surprised at this and kept looking at her like an idiot.

"Ma, what if she tries to change me?" This was the biggest fear I had. I don't like changes.

"It's not called changing Agneesh. It's called respecting other's choices. If you like something and she likes something else, find something that both of you will like." I must have still looked sceptical because she continued, "Me and your father always had a problem with food. Chinese that your father liked and Thai food which I loved so we found a middle way. We went for Desi food on our first outing post marriage."

"Maybe you start liking her choices too. When I was married to your father he had never heard of Jagjit Singh... Can you believe it... And now??"

"Now he can't sleep without a ghazal from Jagjit Singh and a peg of whiskey."

"So you see that he started liking my choices too. And trust me Meenakshi will be a great daughter in law for us and the best girl for you. In simple words... I just want to tell you that don't try to make your life complicated and difficult like a game of Monopoly. Always be simple just like Mario because at the end of the day Mario is the one who gets the princess... Right??" Taking a deep breath she looked at me expecting something.

I kept looking at ma. Why don't we have more conversations like this? Suddenly after this conversation everything seems simple to me!

I smiled and hugged ma who hugged me back. I looked up at her suddenly.

"Ma, just tell me something..."

"Hmm..!"

"Did you teach dad to drink whiskey too??" With this I laughed and ran off as ma tried to catch me.

Lying on the bed I looked out at the stars again.

But this time it was not the confused Agneesh, instead it was the confident Agneesh.

Meenakshi... Your Mario is coming for you tomorrow!!!

-------------------------------------------------------
                  AUTHOR'S NOTE
Hey,
Hope you liked the chapter. Who knew Agneesh's mom is so full of wisdom!??

I liked her Mario advise though.

Next: Engagement and we meet a special character...

By the way guys what do you think about Sara Ali Khan?? Drop your opinions in comments.

Until then,
Love Love ♥️
A.S.