Chapter 14: Wedding Conversation With Parents

I was sitting on my bed as Vivek put on the turban at me. The sword that will be in my hand will be handed to me by my dad when the procession will leave for Meenakshi's. The wedding was to take place at one of her family owned palace somewhere on the border or Rajgarh and Aryapur.

All the rituals from Haldi to Janev were completed on my side.In the Janev ritual, after performing the Havan, I was supposed to pretend as if I was running away from my responsibilities as a householder and then mamu was supposed to convince me to come back. But mamu never came to convince me, all the while he was like, "Oh don't worry. He will be back. He is so excited to get married. Do you think he will let go of this chance?", and all this while I was standing outside like stupid waiting for mamu to come.

Raima has absolutely taken after mamu...! <Insert eyeroll>

Yesterday the last ritual left of Palla Dastoor was also completed. Mom, mami and Raima went to Meenakshi's with all the gifts, clothes, jewelleries all bridal trousseau items. Now they can't stop teasing me about how beautiful my bride looks and how there is glow on her face and how pretty she looked wearing just yellow salwar and kameez yesterday. Damn I want to see her... I am not even able to talk to her much because of all the disturbances due to wedding.

Breaking my thought chain, Ma entered the room in a hurry, looking very worried.

"You are not ready yet. Oh God! Vivek straighten his turban. Nothing is going right. Everything is a mess. The guests are here. Meenakshi's family has reached the venue and we haven't even left yet."

She started speaking in one breath, something she does whenever she is too stressed out. And of course she is stressed out personally attending to all the guests and all the rituals. I can actually see the bags under her eyes.

"Ma, the baraat won't leave without me right? Let me get ready properly. This day won't come again in my life, right?" I looked at her but her frown was still in place.

"No... hurry up. Your father hasn't learnt any steps of the couple dance yet. How can I do a couple dance solo?"

"There is no way you guys are getting the stage empty for doing couple dance. Let Kapoor uncle and Mukherjee uncle have a couple of shots, they are not even going to let anybody up on stage. The only couple dance we are going to see tonight is of Kapoor and Mukherjee uncle." I stood up and looked at myself in the mirror.

Yeah I look good.

"But Agnee..."

"Ma calm down."

"I can't. Vivek take these gifts downstairs with you. Why is everything in a mess here? Vivek, where are you? Vivek?"

"Ma, don't shout!" I raised my voice so that she could listen to me. "Please ma, don't freak out. Please. I am already nervous about all this and seeing you like this is not helping me. Sit here. Sit with me."

She sat next to me on the bed.

"What had we discussed earlier?"

"What? What? Did I miss something? Oh God! What am I going to do at this eleventh hour." She started panicking again.

"Hell no. Ma, everything is perfect. You have done a great work and it shows. Meenakshi ain't gonna notice if the decoration is in yellow or red. She is going to notice how much efforts and love you have put for her. Moreover, you are the groom's mother. Its your only son's marriage. You have to enjoy and be at his side and not take any tension. And here, you are freaking about almost everything except your son. I haven't talked to you properly since all the guests came."