CHAPTER 2 KNOCK, KNOCK

'HAVE you remembered the password yet?' asked Peter next morning, when Janet and he were tidying their shed ready for the meeting

'No, I haven't,' said Janet. 'And I think you might tell me, because you know jolly well I've got to come. I've been thinking of lamb - lamb - lamb for ages, but it doesn't remind me of anything except what I've already told you. Tell me the word, Peter, do!'

'No,' said Peter, firmly. 'You're always forgetting.

It's time you were taught a lesson. I shan't let you into the meeting unless you remember it. Look - go and ask Cook if we can have some of those biscuits she made last week.'

'Go yourself,' said Janet, crossly.

Tm the head of the Secret Seven,' said Peter. 'Obey orders, Janet!'

Janet went off, not feeling at all pleased. She was quite afraid that Peter wouldn't let her into the meeting! He was very strict about rules.

She went into the kitchen, but Cook wasn't there. Some lamb chops lay on the table, and Janet looked at them frowning.' Lamb! Oh dear - whatever ought you to remind me of ? I simply can't think! Oh -here's Cook. Cookie - may we have some of your ginger biscuits, please? Oh, what's that you've got? Mint - let me smell it. I love the smell. I wouldn't mind mint scent on my hanky!'

'It's for mint sauce with the chops,' said Cook. ' Now I'll just'

'Mint sauce! Of course\ That's the password, Mint sauce! What a fathead I am!' said Janet. Then she grew serious and looked solemnly at Cook.

'I shouldn't have said the password out loud! We're not supposed to tell a soul. Cookie, don't remember it, will you?'

'Bless us all, what are you gabbling about?' said Cook, and went to get her tin of ginger biscuits. 1 Here you are - you can have all of these. I'm making some more for to-morrow.'

* Oh, thank you!' said Janet, delighted, and skipped off down the garden with the tin. As she came near the shed she shouted out to Peter.

'Mint sauce, mint sauce, mint sauce!'

'Have you gone mad?' said a cross voice, and Peter looked out of the shed, frowning. 'Shouting out the password for everyone to know! I'm glad you've remembered it at last.'

'Well, Cookie came in with mint to make mint sauce. Wasn't it lucky?' said Janet. 'Oh, Scamper, you know I've got some ginger biscuits, don't you? I expect there'll be one for you. Peter it's almost ten o'clock.'

*I know,' said Peter. Tm just ready. Are there enough things to sit on? - let's see - yes. You'll have to sit on that big flower-pot, Janet. The gardener must have taken our seventh box.'

Scamper began to bark. 'That's someone coming already,' said Peter. 'Shut the door, Janet, please. We'll have to ask the password as usual.'

Knock-knock!

'Password!' called Peter.

'Mint sauce!' said two voices.

'Enter!' said Peter, and Janet opened the door. 'Hello, George and Colin. You're jolly punctual.'

Knock - knock!

' Password!' shouted Peter. A cautious voice came in through the keyhole.

' I've forgotten. But I'm Pam, so you can let me in.'

'No, we can't. You know the rule,' said Peter, sternly.

'Think of lamb chops!' called Janet, before Peter could stop her.

A giggle was heard. 'Oh, yes - of course. mint sauce.'

Janet opened the door, but Peter looked quite cross. 'How dare you remind Pam like that?' he demanded.

'Well, you reminded me!' said Janet, indignantly. 'You said, "Think of lamb chops," didn't you?'

'There's someone else coming,' said Peter, changing the subject hurriedly.

Knock - knock! 'Mint sauce,' said two voices.

'Come in!' shouted Peter, and in came Jack and Barbara together. Scamper greeted them with pleasure, and then everyone sat down and looked expectantly at Peter.

 Scamper greeted them with pleasure, and then everyone sat down and looked expectantly at Peter

'Anything exciting?' asked Jack, eagerly.

'Yes - quite,' answered Peter. 'But what about that awful sister of yours, Jack? Is she anywhere about? This is quite an important meeting.'

'No. She's gone shopping with my mother,' said Jack. 'She doesn't even know there's a meeting on. So we're quite safe. She won't come snooping round.'

'Have a ginger biscuit?' asked Janet, and the tin was handed round.

Peter cleared his throat. 'Well, now,' he began, 'it was my father who thought we should inquire into the matter I'm going to tell you about, so you can see it's quite important. It concerns a girl who has run away from her aunt's home, after stealing some money at school. She's been seen near here, at Belling Village, where her grandmother lives - but so far hasn't been to see her granny.'

'Oh - and I suppose it's up to the Secret Seven to keep a look-out for her - and find her!' said Jack. 'We ought to be able to do that all right. What's she like - and what are your plans, Peter?'

'That's just what this meeting is about,' said Peter. 'Now listen!'