CHAPTER 18 PETER GOES MAD

The next evening the Seven took their bicycles and went riding to Warner's Stables once more, leaving a message at Bramble Cottage for Charles to follow, if he wished. He was out when they called.

Harry and the stable-girl were carting straw about the yard, but Tom was nowhere to be seen.

'He asked if he could work down in the fields today,' said Harry.' Not in the stables. You could bike down to them, if you want him. He's a bit touchy to-day, is old Tom!'

'If someone called Charles comes along, tell him where we are,' said Peter. 'That's the boy who was with us yesterday.'

They rode down to the fields, and saw Tom in the distance exercising ponies round the meadow. They shouted to him and waved.

He stopped and looked hard at them all. Then he waved back and came cantering over.

'Sorry I'm busy,' he said. 'Is there anything you want?'

'Yes!' said Peter, putting his bicycle by the gate and climbing over the top bar. 'Tom -1 want to ask you a question. Do you know where Elizabeth Sonning is hiding? Do you?'

A frightened look came into Tom's face. 'Why should I know that?' he said. 'Don't be crazy!' And with that he kicked his heels against the pony's side and galloped off!

'He does know! He does!' said Jack. 'And he won't tell.' He turned to Peter and looked suddenly astonished. 'Why, Peter - what on earth's the matter? Why are you looking like that?'

Peter did indeed look queer - astonished - bewildered - as if someone had knocked him on the head. Jack shook him, quite scared.

'Peter! What is it?'

'Gosh - of course he knows where Elizabeth is!' said Peter. 'Nobody in the world knows better where Elizabeth hides out! Nobody!'

'Peter!' cried everyone, wondering if he had suddenly gone mad. What in the world did he mean?

He didn't answer, but did something very surprising. He lifted his bicycle over the gate into the field, mounted it and rode over the grass after Tom, who was still cantering along, on the pony.

 He lifted his bicycle over the gate into the field, mounted it and rode over the grass after Tom, who was still cantering along, on the pony

The Seven stared open-mouthed. No doubt about it - Peter had gone off his head! Now he was shouting at the top of his voice.

'Come here, you fathead! Everything's all right! Elizabeth! come here, I say! I've got good news for you! Elizabeth! Elizabeth!'

'Mad,' said Jack, looking quite scared. They all stood and watched, really amazed.

Now Peter was cycling quite near to Tom and his rather frightened pony, and he was still shouting.

'Everything's all right, I tell you! Lucy Howell confessed she took the money! Everyone knows it wasn't you! will you stop, you ass, and listen to me?'

And at last the pony stopped, and the rider allowed Peter to cycle up and jump off by its side. The six by the gate poured into the field to hear what was happening.

Peter was out of breath, but he still talked. 'You're Elizabeth! I know you are! I knew your brother reminded me of someone - and I suddenly saw the likeness just now at the gate! Elizabeth, it's all right. Your name's cleared. And look-there's your brother at the gate. Come now - you are Elizabeth, aren't you?'

Tears began to fall down the girl's face. 'Yes-I am Elizabeth Sonning! Oh, is it true that Lucy said she took the money? I thought she had - but I wasn't sure. Nobody will think me a thief any more?'

'Nobody,' said Peter. 'My word, you're a plucky kid, aren't you - getting a job as a stable-boy, and working hard like this! Where did you hide at night? How...?'

'Oh - there's Charles!' cried Elizabeth, suddenly, though the Seven still couldn't help thinking of her as Tom, of course! The girl galloped her pony over to Charles, shouting to him: 'Charles! Charles! Oh, I'm so glad to see you!'

She almost fell off her pony into his arms, and the two hugged one another tightly. The Seven went over to them, feeling excited and pleased. What a surprising ending to the problem they had been puzzling over so long!

 What a surprising ending to the problem they had been puzzling over so long!

'Well, you monkey!' said Charles, who suddenly looked much younger. 'What have you got to say for yourself ? Bringing me over from France like this -having everyone hunting for you? Where have you been hiding? How did you get in and out of Granny's house? Why . . .?'

'Oh, Charles - I'll answer all your questions!' said Elizabeth, half-crying and half-laughing. 'But let's go to Granny's, do let's. I do want to hug her, I do want to tell her everything's all right!'

'Come on, then,' said Charles, putting his arm round his sister. He turned to the Seven. 'You kids can come too,' he said. 'We've a lot to thank you for - and I'm longing to know how you spotted that this dirty, untidy, smelly stable-boy was no other than my naughty little sister Elizabeth.'