CHAPTER 11 TOM AND A BIT OF EXCITEMENT

Peter and Jack saw the others as soon as they pushed open the tall double-gate and went into the big stable-yard

Peter and Jack saw the others as soon as they pushed open the tall double-gate and went into the big stable-yard. They had evidently been sent to fetch hay and straw, and looked very busy indeed, carrying it over their shoulders. The two stable-boys were there as well, helping.

'Hallo, Peter - hallo, Jack!' called Janet. 'Aren't we busy? We're having a lovely time. Mr Warner said we could take the ponies down to the field later on, with Harry and Tom, the stable-boys.'

'Good. I'll come too, with Jack,' said Peter, pleased. He loved anything to do with horses, and often helped old Jock, the horse-man, in his father's farm-stables. He went over to the two stable-boys. Harry grinned at him, but Tom just nodded. Peter looked at him keenly. So this was the boy who had actually seen Elizabeth!

'I say - I hear you saw that girl, Elizabeth Sonning, at Gorton the other day,' began Peter. 'That's jolly interesting. The police haven't found her yet -1 should think her grandmother must be feeling ill with worry, wouldn't you?'

'What about the girl, then?' said Tom, in a gruff voice. 'I reckon she must be feeling pretty awful too.'

'Well, if she stole that money, she deserves to feel awful,' said Peter. "The funny thing is that Miss Wardle, who is the old lady's companion, says Elizabeth is an awfully nice girl, straightforward as anything! Here - let me help you with that saddle.'

'Thanks,' said Tom. 'I feel interested in that girl -seeing her in Gorton just by chance. I reckon she's in France by now. She said she wanted to go to her brother.'

'Well, she's not in France,' said Peter, struggling with the heavy saddle. 'She goes each night to her granny's house and takes things. Miss Wardle told me that. She says she can't think how Elizabeth gets into the house - everything's locked and fastened. She thought maybe the girl might have a key to the side-door, which has no bolts.'

Jack joined in then. 'And we thought we'd go and watch the house ourselves to-night,' he said. 'We're sure we should see her getting in, if she comes in the dark - and we'd try and get her to go and talk to her old granny, who loves her. We hate to think of a girl camping out somewhere all alone, feeling miserable.*

'Are you really going to watch to-night?' said Tom, sounding surprised. Peter nodded. He hadn't wanted Jack to tell a Secret Seven plan to the stable-boy - that was really silly of him, thought Peter, and gave him a stern frown, which startled Jack very much.

' Well, if you're going to watch the house, I'd like to come too,' said Tom, most surprisingly. 'I bet I could see anyone creeping into a house at night. I'll come with you.'

Peter hesitated. He wanted to say that Tom could certainly not come! But how could he prevent him if he wanted to? It was just a nice little adventure to him, and possibly a chance to show how clever he was at spotting anyone breaking into a house!

'All right,' he said, at last. 'We shall be there at half-past ten - not the girls - just the four boys. I'll give an owl-hoot when we arrive - and if you're there, hoot back.'

'I'll be there,' said Tom

'I'll be there,' said Tom. 'And I suppose a policeman or two will, as well! Well, you stick up for me if I get seen by the police, and say I'm a friend of yours, not a burglar!'

'All right,' said Peter, wishing more than ever that Jack hadn't said so much. 'Do we take the ponies down to the fields now?'

Apparently they did, and a long trail of children riding or leading the ponies went over the hill and down to the fields, bright in the evening sun.

After they had safely fastened in the tired ponies, the Seven, with Tom and Harry, walked back to the stables. Tom looked tired and spoke very little. Harry cracked jokes and slapped the other stable-boy on the back several times. Peter whispered to Tom when he had a chance.

'Don't forget the owl-hoot!' Tom nodded and turned away. The children shouted good-bye and fetched their bicycles, riding them down the hill-path.

In the distance they saw someone climbing over a stile - someone with a suit-case - someone in a navy blue coat and hat - someone who looked round and then, seeming scared, ran hurriedly down the road.

'Look!' said Colin, pointing. 'Is that Elizabeth -with a suit-case, too! Quick, let's follow!'

They rode along the path, bumping up and down as they went, for it was very rough. They came to the stile. By it lay something white.

Janet picked it up. 'A handkerchief!' she said. 'And I say - look! It's got E in the corner, embroidered in green! It was Elizabeth! Her hiding-place is somewhere near here. Quick, let's follow her.'

They lifted their bicycles over the stile into the road and looked to see if they could spy a running figure in navy blue.

'There she is - at the corner - by that old cottage!' shouted George. 'If only we can get her to be friends and come with us! Ring your bells, all of you, so that she'll hear us coming!'