CHAPTER 10 MISS WARDLE HAS MORE NEWS

Sunday passed rather slowly

When Peter and Janet came back from morning church, Peter had an idea.

'Janet - George and I are going to take some more jumble to old Mrs Sonning tomorrow, you remember - to make an excuse for asking about Elizabeth again - so shall we hunt up some? What sort of things does Mother give for jumble? Old clothes mostly, I suppose.'

'Yes. But we can't give away any of our clothes without asking her,' said Janet. 'And she would want to know why we were doing it - she'd guess it was an excuse to go to old Mrs Sonning again, and she might not approve.'

"That's just what I was thinking,' said Peter. 'I know - let's turn out our cupboards and see if there's anything we can find that would do for jumble.'

They found plenty! It was astonishing what a lot of things they had which they had quite forgotten about and never used.

'Two packs of snap cards,' said Peter. 'A game of snakes and ladders - we've never even used it, because we always preferred our old game. And look here - a perfectly new ball! Shall we give that?'

'Well, jwmble isn't really supposed to be new things,' said Janet. 'Let's give our old ball instead. And look, here are my old sandals I thought I'd left at the seaside! I can't get into them now - they can go.'

In the end they had quite a big box full of jumble and felt very pleased with themselves. They longed for Monday to come!

It came at last, and then there was morning school to get through, and afternoon school as well. They raced home to tea and were down in the shed just before five o'clock. All the Seven were there, very punctual indeed!

'Good,' said Peter, pleased. 'Well, Jack and I will bike to Bramble Cottage, and see if we can get any more news out of Miss Wardle, the companion, or Mrs Sonning, the granny. The rest of you can bike up to Warner's Stables and wait for us there. Chat to the stable-boys all you can. We'll join you later.'

They all set off, Peter with a neat box of 'jumble* tied to the back of his bicycle. They parted at the top of Blackberry Lane, and Jack and Peter went down the narrow, winding road, while the others rode up the hill to where Warner's Stables were, right at the top.

Peter and Jack left their bicycles at the gate of Bramble Cottage and went to the front door. They knocked, hoping that Miss Wardle would come, not old Mrs Sonning.

Mrs Sonning might not be so willing to talk about Elizabeth as Miss Wardle was!

Thank goodness it was the companion who opened the door again. She seemed quite pleased to see them.

'Well now - don't say you've been kind enough to bring us some more jumble!' she said.' Mrs Sonning was so pleased with the boxes you brought on Saturday. I'll give her these - she's still in bed, dear old lady.'

'Oh, I'm sorry,' said Peter. 'Hasn't she heard any more of her granddaughter?'

'Not a word,' said Miss Wardle. 'The police say she seems to have disappeared completely - and yet she came here again last night-ant/the night before!'

This was indeed news! 'Did she?' asked Peter eagerly. 'Did you see her? Did she leave a note?'

'No. Not a note, not even a sign that she was here,' said Miss Wardle, 'except that more food was gone. How she got in beats me. Every door and window I made fast myself. She must have got a key to the side-door. That's the only one with no bolt.'

'What do the police say about that?' asked Jack.

* Nothing,' said Miss Wardle, rather indignantly. *It's my belief they think I'm making it up, they take so little notice. Why don't they put a man to watch the house at night - they'd catch the poor child then, and what a relief it would be to the old lady to know she was safe!'

 Why don't they put a man to watch the house at night - they'd catch the poor child then, and what a relief it would be to the old lady to know she was safe!'

'They probably do put a man to watch,' said Peter, 'but I expect Elizabeth knows some way into the house that they don't. I bet she knows if there's a policeman about - and where he is and everything, I would! Why don't you watch, Miss Wardle?' 'What? Watch every door and window?' said the companion. 'Nobody could do that. And I'm not one to be able to keep awake all night, even if I had to.'

'Well - we'd better go,' said Peter. 'I do hope Elizabeth is soon found. It must be awful hiding away in some cold, lonely place all by herself, not daring to come home because she feels ashamed.'

They said good-bye and went. 'Well,' said Peter, as soon as they were out of the front gate, 'I know what Tm going to do to-night! I'm going to hide somewhere in the garden here! I bet I'll see Elizabeth if she comes - but I shan't tell the police. I'll try and get her to go and tell everything to her granny!'

'Good idea! I'll come too!' said Jack, thrilled. 'Let's go up to the stables now and find the others. I bet they'll want to come and watch as well!'