▪4▪

DAY 08
B.E.A.R. LABORATORIES
LEVEL 3

I use a water bottle to water the tiny plant in my office. With all of the glass, tile, and stainless steel, I felt like I needed to add some earthiness to the space. Now, I can I only hope it lives. It's a succulent, so it should be fine. Granted, I did have to buy a special heat lamp to give it artificial sunlight.

After Dr. Lansburry left my office yesterday, I have come up with two main theories as to what is going on in Levels 4 and 5. My first guess is I am overreacting and my observations of the Doctor's reaction are skewed by rumours of the project and a predisposition to look for anything out of the ordinary.

The second, is they have created something--something dangerous. Judging by the DNA strands I have studied, I have made the observation that we are most likely dealing with a fabled lycanthrope. No, I don't think lycanthrope's are real, but the only logical explanation is they created a lycanthrope, but why? What reason did they have to create a mythical creature? My best guess is it wasn't just for kicks and giggles, especially with all the secrecy surrounding the project.

Now, the only thing I am missing is what a mere freckle can mean to a project this big. Dr. Lansburry's reaction to my findings was one of awe and apprehension, leading me to believe there is more to that sample than what meets the eye. I suppose I could ask Dr. Vanderwall, but I have a feeling he wouldn't tell me. Especially with Dr. Lansburry's warning yesterday.

Outside my fogged glass doors, I see two silhouettes arguing while walking past. One of them, a man, uses large arm gestures while the other, a woman I believe, remains cool and collected.

I stand up from my desk and get closer to hear their conversation. I know, I should not be eavesdropping, but I can't help it.

"Let it be! We will just up his sedatives," the voice I recognize as Dr. Conner's says.

"We are already administering the strongest sedatives we have! I don't see how we can keep running this project with him constantly trying to claw out of his cell," the other voice says. I believe he is Dr. Lansburry.

"No! Too much time and effort has already gone into this project. We will not be giving up just because a few security guards were injured," she retorts.

"Injured? Rebecca, those men nearly lost their lives!" He says to Dr. Conner.

"Hush! You don't know who could be listening." Erm, that would be me. "I can't help that he has become more aggressive over the past week. The Tekula Project will continue as planned."

Dr. Lansburry's reply is cut short by the elevator doors opening to levels 4 and 5. We are bombarded by yelling and stomping footsteps as they make their way to the other elevators leading them to the top floor.

I swiftly open my office doors and take in my surroundings. There are two men on stretchers, one has an oxygen mask covering his face and the other screams while clutching an arm that squirts blood onto the black tiles. He must have nicked an artery.

They are obviously security guards, judging by their uniforms. The two stretchers make their exit along with the security accompanying them. I am startled by a cold hand clamping firmly into my shoulder.

"Go back to your lab, Ms. Odair. This does not concern you," Dr. Conner says harshly. I give a curt nod before returning to my office.

▪▪▪

DAY 10
B.E.A.R. LABORATORIES
LEVEL 3

It has been two days since I witnessed the security guards being carried up on stretchers. It happened again yesterday, but this time three guards were injured. Everyone on Levels 1-3 are making up rumours like we are all still in high school. The craziest I have heard so far was when I overheard an office lady from Level 2 saying they are growing killer plants, but then again, I think they have created a mythical creature, so I suppose it isn't that crazy.

I straighten the papers on my desk and organize my pens, pencils, and markers into their designated cups. My desk is always tidy. I am not one to have a messy work area.

Organizing also takes my mind off the swirling thoughts I have about the Tekula Project. At least I am getting paid well for the mystery work I am performing.

Morgan has also greatly benefitted from my new job. She says she will be eternally in my debt for buying us a steak dinner last night. I chuckle at that thought. From Hot Pockets to steak is a huge step.

I am broken out of my thoughts by rushing footsteps and loud voices. I lean forwards in my chair and try to listen for any sounds that might tell me what's going on.

The harsh wailing of sirens suddenly sounds. I instinctively cover my ears, the piercing noise sending a chill over my body. I quickly make my way to the door, intending to figure out what exactly is going on.

People all around me rush to the elevators, panicked chatter clashing with the sound of sirens.

"What's going on--" I try to ask the others what is happening, but my words are easily drowned out by the masses.

I stumble into the corridor as the last of the crowd finally passes. I try to remain calm as I follow after them. Something bad has obviously happened, and I have no clue as to what it may be.

Just as I round the corner, I see the elevator doors starting to close. The passengers look over my shoulder with scared eyes and one of them frantically presses the close button.

"No, wait! Leave it open for me!" I shout, breaking into a run. The fear in their eyes has me terrified.

"I'm sorry," one woman says as the doors finally come to a close. I bang my fist on the door. Hearing the low growl of an animal, I slowly turn myself around.

There, at the other end of the hallway, stands a man. He is barefooted and is wearing nothing but a pair of grey sweatpants. His hair is long and he has a beard, both of which are unkempt. He is tall and of an intimidating build.

But this isn't what catches my eye, no. It is the swirling tattoos that trace nearly every inch of his skin. Sharp lines and tribal patterns criss-cross over his tanned flesh in a kind of entrancing, intricate beauty. They wrap around and enhance his already toned muscles and complement his wild, animalistic look.

His looks, however, only heighten my fear. He is obviously not security nor an employee. No, he is a project--an experiment. His intimidating body begins to stalk forwards.

Brown eyes, nearly obscured by rich locks of dark hair, stare into my light green ones with an intensity which nearly causes my knees to wobble. I can hear nothing but the thudding of my heart beating wildly in my chest, the sounds of the sirens turning into white noise at the back of my mind.

I back up until my spine connects with the elevator doors. I shiver as my bare arms come in contact with the cool metal. "Someone help me, please," I beg.

"Just stay calm, Ms. Odair. As long as you don't make any sudden moves he shouldn't hurt you," a voice I barely recognize as Dr. Vanderwall's crackles over the intercom speakers.

The man stalks closer still. His eyes are fixed solely on me, unmoving, intense. His fists are clutched tightly against his sides, as though restraining himself in some way. Restraining himself from what, I don't want to know.

"Who... who is he?" I ask as the man stops only an arm's length away from me. I stare up at him with wide eyes, my lips parted in fear. I stand frozen, unable to move. I shut my eyes, turning my head away.

Laboured breathing, the touch of fingertips on my bare shoulder, breath on my lips. A heavy, deep inhale. Slow exhale. A forehead against mine, shaky hands cupping the back of my neck, fingertips sliding into my red locks.

My eyes open to meet the warmest pair of honey eyes.

The man suddenly screws his face up in pain. He continues to stumble backwards before finally collapsing against the wall. His eyes connect with mine one last time before they close as he sinks into unconsciousness.

I then look up to see heavily armoured security with dart guns aimed at the man. I suppose that is how he was knocked out. Three of them rush forward and pick him up and place him on a stretcher, carrying him back to the lower levels. I run a shaky hand through my hair, my heart rate slowly coming back to normal.

I hear Dr. Vanderwall's voice crackle over the intercom, "That is The Tekula Project."