▪8▪

I turn the engine off, the sound of my car's engine instantly silencing. My forehead thumps against the steering wheel as I slump forwards. Today's meeting with Theseus was rather long and tiring, making me eager to get to my apartment, but also feeling too lazy to do so, hence my current position.

With a heavy sigh, I exit the car. My hands are full with a coat, coffee mug, many files, and a notebook, making my walking slow and awkward. I eventually make it to the breezeway and up the steps.

I almost cry from relief as I enter the confines of the apartment, my arms quick to drop everything down on the kitchen counter. Let me just say, eleven hours is a really long day.

It seems Morgan is still in school, leaving the apartment quiet and dark. I flip on the lights as I make my way to the shower, the tile cold on my now bare feet.

The water is warm and soothing to my tired body, but for some reason I feel like it isn't enough--like there could be something better. After my shower, I fix myself some coco and cuddle up underneath a fuzzy blanket on the couch.

Still, I don't feel warm.

I mean, I am physically warm, but I still feel cold, as though something is missing. It is like I can almost sense something out of place. This is new feeling, one I have never felt before. It is strange, and all together beguiling.

I find my mind drifting to the Project, or rather, Theseus. I think back to a few days ago, when he offered me his food. He is always so clingy and attentive with me, which is something I don't really know how to handle.

He is a Project. I am an employee of B.E.A.R. Labs. He is an experiment of BE.A.R. Labs that I just so happen to be a part of. I feel a connection to him that I don't fully comprehend--one that I know is against any and every protocol in the book--yet I find myself pandering to those forbidden feelings.

I am startled by the sudden sound of the door opening. I turn my gaze to see Morgan skipping happily into the apartment.

"Wow. Do you normally just sit under a blanket in front of a black TV, or are you practicing to be in some kind of horror movie?"

I sigh. I honestly hadn't realized the TV hadn't even been on. My thoughts had been too preoccupied with Theseus to notice anything out of the ordinary.

"Sorry," I mumble. "I was a little distracted, I guess."

Morgan harrumphs. "Ya don't say."

I chuckle, slapping her butt with a pillow as she plops onto the couch next to me. She sends me a mocking scowl before reaching for the remote. She puts on some kind of DIY show before turning her attention to me.

"So, what's on your mind?" She asks.

"Ugh, nothing really. Just a little stressed is all."

She hums, seeming to contemplate my answer. "You know," she pipes up. "I can tell when you're lying."

"I'm not lying," I quip. "Work is hard."

"Uh huh. Sure. When we were kids, you used to always get this scrunched, constipated look on your face when you were focusing."

"Yeah, so?" I ask.

"Well, you've been wearing that look for the past two weeks."

I sigh. I hate it when Morgan gets like this. She acts like she is some kind of personal therapist, trying all her tricks to get me to open up.

"And?"

"What are you thinking about? What has you so wrapped up in your head that you can't focus even on the TV?" Morgan huffs exasperatedly.

"Morgan, I told you it isn't important. I'm just stressed with the new job and the long hours. That's it."

She sighs. "If you say so."

▪▪▪

DAY 30
B.E.A.R. LABORATORIES
LEVEL 5

Today is much better than the last few times I was in Theseus' cell with him. He is quiet today, which has me much less tense than I normally am. It is also after lunch, so he is quite sleepy.

"You are welcome to go to sleep, you know," I say, watching as his eyes slowly blink open and closed.

He shakes his head. "Would... would waste..."

I am sitting across from him on a chair I brought with me for today's session, much to Theseus' distaste. He likes it better when I sit next to him. Only, I'm not exactly comfortable with that yet.

"A waste of time?" I guess. "Theseus, you have all the time in the world."

He shakes his head fervently. "No. T-time is... is sm-mall with Mate. Not waste it."

"Oh," I mumble, unable to stop the tiny blush from rising to my cheeks. He doesn't want to waste his time sleeping when he could spend it with me.

He sits quietly on the bed, picking at little fuzzies on the blanket. A sudden question comes to mind.

"What are things you liked to do when you were young?"

Theseus looks up then, his eyes glazing over in thought. He pauses, stutters, then begins speaking.

"Sw-swimming." He smiles then, a far away look in his eyes. "What ab... about Mate?"

I wasn't expecting him to ask me that, but I assume it is only fair that I humour him. I think back to my time as a kid.

"My sister and I used to play dress-up all the time. We would pick out costumes then act out little plays for our parents." I chuckle quietly, reminiscing my time as a child. It had been so long since I thought about those times. It is strange that those thoughts only resurfaced at a time such as this. Even more strange with the current company.

Theseus smiles broadly, his innocent eyes gazing up at me. That was something I had never quite understood about him. I have seen the destruction he has caused and heeded the warning of others about his volatile behavior, but never have I actually witnessed this from him.

Something about him just screams innocence.

Yes, I have seen him scared. I have seen him shift. I have even seen him crack the glass that used to separate us. And yet, I find that the root of all of those things, was us. Not him. Not the innocent man before me.

▪▪▪

Dr. Vanderwall removes his glasses, rubbing his pointed nose tiredly. Watching t.v. monitors all day is not exactly pleasing to the eyes. Nevertheless, he continues to observe the atrocity before him.

A tiny camera was installed in an air vent in the Project's quarters, allowing him access to view whatever happens in the cell, and it's a good thing he did.

The girl is beginning to show compassion.

Yes, he needed her help with taming the beast, but he had not expected anything like this--none of them had. The connection shared between the two is nothing short of insane. The way he reacts to her is unlike anything they have ever seen from him, or from any other experiments.

At first, the girl, Veronica, seemed on board with the situation, just as eager to learn as the rest of them. Only, she has since developed an attachment.

"Do you think this has to do with the kind of creature he is?" Dr. Anderson asks from behind him.

"I cannot think of any other reason for it," he responds. "Perhaps we could change this."

"How do you propose we do that?" Anderson questions, removing his gaze from the monitor.

"I believe it is time we find out just how attached he really is."