45

Finn was leaned back in the chair. Sleeping, soundly for once.

The hospital was quite tonight.
Only the distant sound of beeping from heart monitors.

Y/n's heart was still beating. And that was so much more than everything for Finn. Just knowing, she was still here.

Finn shifted in the seat hearing the crinkling of the fabric. Except, it continued, even after he was still.

Finn opened his eyes tiredly, feeling them being watery. He furrowed his eyebrows at the sound.

Finn looked down towards Y/n and his heart skipped a beat.

This can't be real.
She was awake.
She was moving her arms.

Finn felt numb. But a better kind, numb because he was so unbelievably happy.

He was so happy.

"Y/n?"
Finn's voice came out as a whisper, tears in his eyes as he smiled brightly.

She opened her eyes and looked over at Finn, her eyes meeting his was the best sight in the world to him.

"Can we get a doctor in here!? Please she's awake!"

Finn has been waiting for this.

"Here. Let me help."

He reached over and gently slipped the breathing mask off of her nose and mouth so she could speak to him.

"Y/n. I've waited by your side. I never left. I love you."

A doctor in blue scrubs walked in.

That was when she spoke. Spoke the worst sentence Finn could have imagined. The sentence that struck him. Took the air from his lungs. Ruined his life.
"I'm sorry, who are you?"