Chapter 5: Competition

Your Point of View

"BEFORE WE open the topic for our lesson, how about we discuss what this class is all about first?"

Our art teacher, Mr. Erwin Smith talked while walking around the classroom and taking quick glances at everyone who is seated.

"Arts...you are here in this classroom to learn about the fundamentals and such things you must know about arts. But what is an art, anyway?" He stopped and stood in front.

What is an art, he ask huh?

I got what our teacher was trying to point out. Why would you study or learn about something if  you don't exactly know that thing itself?

I continued focusing on Mr. Smith's words and ignored everyone's thoughts that are trying to distract me from my business.

For some time, I practiced how to concentrate and put all of my attention on one subject.

So if by any chance that I would need to go somewhere, I wouldn't have so much hard time letting them penetrate through my mind. It was quite difficult though. At some point, it is impossible even to do it especially if a large number of people are surrounding me.

"Yeah, sure, you learn about arts. But what is the point of learning about it if in the first place, you really don't know what's it?"

'Students...I hope they'll get more serious and give deeper meanings from someone's statements.'

I felt somehow guilty for what he have thought.

There really are pupils who aren't even grade conscious. They don't give a damn about failing for as long as they are still able to graduate.

"Any definitions of what art is?" He looked around. He was probably waiting for somebody to answer him.

My hand automatically raised when no one else did. "Yes, miss...(l/n)?"

He knew my last name, huh? Perks of being an intelligent student.

I stood up and enumerated my answer. "Basically, an art is something that is created from one's imagination that commonly expresses any idea or feelings."

I stopped halfway, doubting my the other answer that I also wanted to share. I mentally argued with myself for three seconds if I would also spill it or not.

But in the end, my mind let out all the ideas and thoughts it was holding back.

"In my own perspective, I think art is anything you form out of anything. Whether beautiful or not for someone's view, you call it an art. For me, no art is trash. Every detail has its own story and meaning, though not everybody sees it. That is how I define art."

I sat down on my chair and I saw our teacher's lips curved.

'Her former teachers were right, she really is intelligent in her own way.'

I smiled at his thought. I made a good impression on him. What a news.

"Yes, how about you, mister?"

I was surprised when I saw the tiny guy raising his right hand. He has something in mind, too?

Okay, I was quite rude for thinking he won't come up with any idea.

"Sorry sir, but I must disagree with (y/n)'s answer." He said as he rose from his seat. He was still wearing that black mask that never left his face.

I let out a small frown as I take my seat. Does he have a problem with me and decided to take revenge by arguing with my answer?

I remembered what happened back in the library earlier. He seemed so bothered that he didn't see me that morning. If that is the reason why he was doing this, then I must say that he is fucking lame and childish.

Damn you, Levi. I hate this, you're the only person that can make me feel curious. Heck, if only I can read what's going in your head.

My heart speed up the moment he started explaining. "By definition, her answer is actually correct. I respect her perspective, but it clearly is not how you describe it." He looked at me with his steel gray eyes.

Though I was fazed with his stare, I never blinked or even averted my eyes from him. I was too frozen to move.

'What is with that drawing guy? Why does he have to argue with (y/n)'s answer? Don't tell me they are having a quarrel, oh my gosh!'

The thoughts of Laurel, my seatmate, were very loud inside my head because she was too close from my chair. Geez, she misunderstood the situation again.

"Can you enlighten us, mister? What did you mean by that?" Mr. Smith walked towards near us and asked him.

"Yes, sir. The sentence she spoke earlier, the 'No art is trash' line triggered me. The term she used, 'trash' wasn't the most accurate and right term to call it. I got her point, but I think what she was really pointing out was like, an art can be called an art if one created it, disregarding how it was made or done, and not describing it as 'trash'."

Loud claps and whistles from my classmates can be heard the moment Levi finished his remarks.

'Such a handsome and wise guy! Marry me now~'

'That loser finally found her counter.'

'I already liked you since the first day and I am not regretting it, maaan!'

In a blink, I started feeling very embarrassed with what I said. I shouldn't have said what I was thinking. How dare him.

Don't blame me, I never thought that someone like him would notice the tiniest things like that.

He took a glance at me once again before returning back to his seat which made my eyes squint.

Dammit! If this continues, it might be possible that he could steal my spot on top that I have been protecting ever since.

This is the first time someone as insane as Levi did this to me. To be honest, this is worse than those the bullies. They can hurt and get everything they want from me, but this? This is an exception. I won't let anyone beat me where I am best at.

Not even you, Levi Anchor-man.

You want to compete with me? Fine, I will give you the competition you want.