The Office, the New Ass and the Definition of Professionalism

Half Hour Later

It took me a half hour to re-arrange that shelf. I couldn't even look at him and at times, I could just feel his eyes on me. It was a burning sensation- the embarrassment, the apprehension and of course, I was humiliated. I was humiliated with myself. It was constant thought in my head which was yelling at me saying, "How could you even dream about this man and feel intimated by his arrogance?"

I started working to not only save me from losing my sanity but also because a lot of important paperwork was pending. I read through the folders as I ate my now cold sandwich. My working hours are going to end soon and I couldn't be grateful for that. My phone started vibrating and I looked at the name on the screen. It was Mr. Agarwal. See, this was why I loved this old man. He cared about people. I picked it up without thinking.

"Hello, Mr. Agarwal. How are you doing?"

"I'm fine, beta. I called you to ask you how you're doing. I hope you're not having any problem."

"Problem? I'm this close to file a complaint against this Aadil Wadia. He is so arrogant and conceited." I exploded.

"Just as I had thought." he said with a sigh.

"You know about him?" I asked.

"He has a reputation in the business world here in Bombay. The people here call him the Narcissistic King."

"Then why is he here? Why hasn't he been denounced yet?"

"Because he is extremely good at his job. He is perhaps the best. His business strategies are worth being appreciated and his main focus is on getting positive results. He is so young and talented, even the members of the Board are jealous." Mr. Agarwal never appreciated people if they were not worth it.

"What if I file a complaint against him?" I asked, now a bit unsure and a lot more intimidated.

"Beta, listen, you can but you shouldn't. All the people that have filed a complaint against him are either jobless or not doing that great with their lives. I know you are braver than this. I know you can take care of it."

"Mr. Agarwal, if you knew about him, you could have just warned me."

"I didn't know, honestly. I just got the news and I called you. I knew you must be having a hard time." I knew he wasn't lying. And I believed that there was nothing he could do.

"Yeah, I think so. Thank you. We miss you."

"Don't worry and take care. You'll be fine. I need to go, bye."

"Okay. Thank you and bye."

I kept the phone back on the table and looked at my wrist watch it was 2pm. Just when I was about to look at my computer, I heard a cough. It came from my door and I looked straight over to the door. It was Mr. I-am-the-greatest-stuck-up.

He was leaning on my door, looking straight at me with a poker face. I just knew he was annoyed. I stood up straight, like a soldier at attention.

"Sir, you need something?" I asked trying to keep my voice as professional.

"Ms. Lahiri," he said keeping his eye-contact firm. "Why is your intercom disconnected?"

I looked at my intercom and shit, I had forgotten to put it back after the last conversation. "I'm really sorry, I-" And before I could say anything, he interrupted me.

"You could most definitely file a complaint against me but let me remind you that before you do that, I could just fire you for being unprofessional." He said in a monotone.

"Sir, I-"

"I don't know how things used to work around here before but they don't work that way anymore, Ms. Lahiri." Dear God, he was angry. And he had heard that conversation between me and Mr. Agarwal. "But just so you know, it's either you work for me, work with me or you don't."

"But I-"

"And, Ms. Lahiri, I don't care what your relationship with Mr. Agarwal was but it'd be better for you to not bring it with you to work." What did he just say? My relationship with Mr. Agarwal.

"Excuse me? What do you mean?" He was about to interrupt me again but I showed him the hand. "You can question every bit of professionalism I have and you can point out everything wrong with me but you do not question my character and disposition. You might be the almighty around here in business but you sure do not know how to talk to or behave with people." I said straight to his face, my eyes brimming with tears. I didn't care about the consequences and I immediately regretted it. But deep down I knew he deserved every bit of it.

He looked at me with a long pause and the silence that followed was torturous. And then he said, "Email me the softcopy of the blueprints of the Bombay Green project." And he just left.

I wanted to tear the whole building down and burn his beautiful face. I couldn't believe we had to go into the same building and I had live right in front of his apartment. One must be wondering how I could afford to live in the same building as my CEO boss. Well, it was affordable for me. I didn't have much expenses and I lived alone. My salary had seven digits in them every month and that was the only reason I was still working there. But I didn't understand why the CEO would live in that building. It wasn't bad, it was an amazing place but he could do much, much better. He could live in a penthouse. Maybe he owned one. I then realized that I was thinking about unnecessary things, so I swept my thoughts under my imaginary carpet and continued working. I was still a bit humiliated but I didn't want to lose my job. 

Beta (Gender neutral): In Hindi, means Son/Daughter/Child