XXVII

"Ophelia

"Ophelia." Her eyes flutter open, in front of her stood Haymitch. She sat up and looked behind her, Finnick was gone. Her heart sank, she pushed him too far. She turned her head back to face the man. "Come on, Coin wants to see you."

She stands up from the bunk and follows him down a hallway and into a room.

He pushed open the door and guided her inside. Coin sat at a table, looking down at some papers, she looks up as the door shuts.

"Ophelia, come, take a seat." She said calmly, the brunette took a seat in front of her. "How are you?"

"I'm okay." She answers, folding her hands in her lap. She had no clue what this 'meeting' was about and it was making her nervous.

"That's good. Now, let's get straight into business." She pauses before speaking again. "We're sending you to District 2." Ophelia scrunched her eyebrows in confusion.

"Why?"

"Well, Katniss suggested it. She wants to be there in the fight, she's the mockingjay you're the mockingbird. You two stay together." She was glad to get out of the bunker but at the same time nervous.

She sucked a breath into her lungs then flashed her a smile. "Okay."

<>

"Here's your crossbow, and an extra pistol just in case." Beetee handed her the weapons, she thanked him and boarded. She didn't spot Finnick on the Hovercraft, she figured he needed space and sat down.

She shoved the pistol into her holster at her waist and buckled up, her hands shook slightly as she did so. Her eyes widen, she forgot to take her pills.

It was too late now to go and get them, she let out a sigh and leaned her head back onto the wall.

"You okay?" Her eyes traveled to Gale who sat across from her.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Finally the Hovercraft takes off and heads to District 2.

<>

"Welcome to District 2, I'm corporal Homes. Follow me please." They step onto the ground, Ophelia glances around; the once lavish buildings were in pieces and the once blue sky was cloudy with smoke and dust.

Suddenly a bomb goes off rattling the ground, she tightens her grip on her crossbow.

"Don't worry that's how the locals say good morning." Corporal Homes jokes, but none of them found it funny at the moment.

<>

"Let's focus on what you're going to say-"

"I'm not reading one of those cards." Katniss snaps.

"Okay, didn't think so. Just remember you're talking to everybody, the Capital, the survivors of 2." He kept going but Ophelia looked away, she studied the train tracks on the ground as she waited. 

"This is Katniss Everdeen, speaking to you from the ruins of District 2." She looks up at the younger girl and smiled, they already started the cameras.

Behind her, in the distance was a faint light; a train. Loud yelling came from the train as it got closer and came to a holt, Katniss was dragged out of the way.

"Weapons down! Get on the ground!" Several men jumped off the train, panic arose in her chest as a large guy stumbled towards them with a gun in hand.

"Hey! drop the gun!" Boggs yelled as the other man got closer to them.

Ophelia stepped forward just as shots were fired, her breath hitched in her throat as the man fell to the ground groaning in pain. Katniss immediately rushed over to him, she knelt by his side.

"Hold your fire!" Boggs said loudly.

"He needs hel-" She started to yell but the man pulled her close to him and pointed the gun at her neck.

Ophelia's eyes widened, anger filled her petite body. She felt someone grab the back of her shirt, stopping her from causing a scene.

"Give me one reason I shouldn't shoot you." His voice was low and raspy, it sent shivers done her spine.

The room went quiet waiting for her response, Ophelia was pretty sure you could hear her heart beat from miles away.

"I can't," She finally replied. "I guess that's the problem, isn't it? We blew up your mine, you burned our District to the ground; we both have a reason to want to kill each other. So if you want to kill me do it, make Snow happy, I'm tired of killing his slaves for him."

"I'm not his slave." He whispered.

"I know that's why I killed Cato and he killed Thresh, and Thresh killed Clove. It just goes around and around and around. Always Snow, I am done being a piece in his game. District 12, District 2; we have no fight expect the one the Capital gave us. Why are you fighting the rebels, your neighbors, your family." The words came out slow and strong, he quickly dropped the gun and looked down.

She stood up with confidence. "these people are not your enemy, we all have one enemy and that's Snow. He corrupted everyone and everything. He turns the best of us against each other. Stop killing for him! Tonight turn your weapons to the Capital, tonight turn your weapons to snow-"

Three bullets fired at Katniss before chaos erupted.

Her hands reached for the gun in her holster but Ophelia was shoved to the ground before she could reach it. Her head collided with the pavement; dark spots clouded her vision. The last time she saw spots like that was in the Arena, after Peeta hit the force field. Her body lay limp on the ground as her skull rattled, she heard her name being called but she didn't have the strength to respond. Her body fought to stay awake; she remembered her mother
telling her once if she ever hit her head to do so. Suddenly everything in her brain turned to mush, so she finally gave in and passed out.

<>

[an]

Just a little self promo but I have a few other books I've published like a Five Hargreeves fanfiction, Cato Hadley fanfiction, and a Peter Parker fanfiction. So if you want you can go check them out, it would be greatly appreciated. <3