XXVIII.

The first thing Ophelia felt when she woke up was a sharp pain in her skull, it hurt so bad that she could barely open her eyes

The first thing Ophelia felt when she woke up was a sharp pain in her skull, it hurt so bad that she could barely open her eyes. Once she did she sat up and looked around.

"Ophelia." Her head turned to her right and she met the eyes of Finnick, a small smile grew across his face. "Are you okay? Does your head hurt? Do you want me to get the nurse?" He questioned but the brunette just smiled.

"Besides the bad headache, I'm okay."

"That's great," He places his hand on top of hers.

"Listen, I'm sorry for prying at you the other day, you're not ready to talk yet and i crossed over your boundaries-"

"Its okay, I overreacted and I shouldn't have acted that way towards you." She smiled and leaned towards him.

"I love you." She whispered as her hand traced over his jaw, he couldn't hide the surprise in is face as she spoke.

"I love you more." He finally replied and pressed his lips onto hers, Ophelia's eyes flutter shut as their lips move on sync. Everything seemed to disappear around them, they felt like the only two people in the world. Finnick gently bit her lip and grabbed onto her waist, she smiled into the kiss, without a care in the world.

<>

Ophelia followed Finnick closely behind as they walked to their new squad, Katniss ran up to them giving them both a hug.

"Hows the bruises?" She asked the younger girl, she was glad that her friend wore a bulletproof vest the day before.

"Eh, it could've been worse." The three headed over to where Boggs and several other people stood talking.

"Squad 451, lieutenant Jackson is my second in command. We are a non-combat troop, so we will be days behind the the front line troops."

"You're to be the on screen faces of the invasion. The star squad. Its been decided that you're most effective when seen by the masses." Cressida said.

"You were all hand picked to intimidate their forces. Even though We will be working on abandoned streets miles behind I guarantee you where ever they put us you will not be safe. This is a war zone, it is most likely we will encounter both active pods and Peacekeepers. You're considered high value targets to the Capitol; in the event that you're captured you will be given a Nightlock pill, a poison that acts immediately." Boggs continues to say as they hand out the Nightlock, Lieutenant Jackson drops the tiny pill into Ophelia's hands and then moves onto Finnick and Katniss.

She stares at it for a split second then places it in the tiny pocket on her uniform.

"I already briefed you on pods, i will remind you they're on every block." He picks up an object laying in front of him. "Our troop has been given a Holo, a data base that contains a detailed map of the Capitol and a list of every known pod. The pods can trigger anything from bombs to traps to mutts. We cannot move without this device, no guarantee that our data base is complete; there could be new pods that we've not aware of. Because we don't want the Gamemakers to know we have this intel there's a self destruct, say Nightlock three times and it will blow up anything within a ten foot radius. Stay within our unit, even with the Holo its likely that new pods have been set whatever they contain, they are meant to kill you."

"Ladies and gentlemen welcome to the 76th Hunger games."

<>

"I've never seen this place so empty." Katniss says as they walk.

"Just keep your eyes open." Boggs mutters back. A quiet beeping noise starts to come from the front of the group, Boggs stops walking and raises his hand in the air. "There's a pod ahead."

They all squat down as Katniss gets into position, she loads her bow as Cressida points the camera at her. She aims straight ahead and releases the bow, the arrow hits the ground far ahead the fire comes shooting out of the walls of the buildings. The fire goes out and Ophelia starts to stand but she is pulled back down when a truck exploded. A loud bang rings throughout the abandoned city, Finnick grabs her hand and squeezes it.

"All clear." They stand and continue walking.

<>

"Is that Peacekeepers?" Ophelia looked up from her shaking hands and scanned the horizon, a truck was headed their way. She gets up and follows Boggs, once the truck stopped a man got out and walked to the back to get something. Katniss loads her bow ready for a fight but the man brings out a familiar blond boy.

Lieutenant Jackson walks towards him and Katniss keeps her bow pointed on him, she ties his hands together and speaks quietly to him. "Its just for precaution." Ophelia was confused about the whole situation, wasn't Peeta not mentally stable after the Tracker Jacker venom? Didn't he want to kill Katniss? She didn't understand what went through Coins mind.

<>

"Pod up ahead, split off and take cover behind the walls." Ophelia and Finnick head to the right side and bent down, Bogss throws a rock and triggers the pod sending bullets flying everywhere. The brunette covers her ears, it gets louder then fades.

Boggs walks out. "All clear." He said loudly and continues to walk forward, Finnick pulls Ophelia to her feet and smiles.

The ground shakes and a loud explosion goes off, Ophelia runs towards the sound and gasps. Boggs laid on the concrete pointing at the Holo as he struggled to breathe. Katniss is at his side at the blink of an eye holding the Holo as he muttered his last words to her.

Jackson lets out a loud groan and Leeg runs towards her but stops. She looks down at her foot and then back at the rest of the squad, she stepped on a landmine. Suddenly the doors around the Capitol courtyard start to close, and then it stops. It was dead silent for a minute before hell broke lose.

Black water comes out of the ground, rushing towards them. Ophelia's heart stopped as her mind registered what was happening, she felt someone grab her arm before dragging her away. She runs as fast as her legs could carry her, straight ahead was two doors that lead into the building; that was their only chance. Gale shoots at the door and it bursts open, a scream comes from behind her that came from Katniss, she had been tackled by Peeta. Finnick lets go of her hand to help get Peeta off of Katniss before the water got them.

"Ophelia come on!" Gale yelled motioning her towards the door, she runs into the building and follows Leeg, Cressida, and Gale up the stairs.

She goes to run up the next set of stairs but it was gone, completely destroyed.

They were screwed.