[5] - chapter five

Sam's whimpering about some girl was about to be the last straw before she lost her cool

Sam's whimpering about some girl was about to be the last straw before she lost her cool. Adrena was already on edge from her interaction with Jon and now, they had to worry about the Wildlings invading other camps. It was a lot to take in and she realized how much she had gotten herself into just to kill one man.

"I should have never left her there." Sam muttered and Adrena looked up from her hands, feeling sympathetic for the man. She too know what it felt like to lose someone important to her. It was the only reason she was here.

"You couldn't have known." Jon attempted to reason. Every few minutes, he'd spare a glance at the mysterious girl and she'd already be looking at him, that same cold look gracing her brown eyes. She looked at him like she hated his entire being, and it confused him. As far as he knew, they had never met.

"Of course, I could've known. They were raiding the villages close by." Adrena clenched her jaw and ran a hand over her leg. She had to get out of here. With the two men bickering about the Wildlings attacks, it was becoming excessively loud and she needed to breathe.

"She's dead because of me." That was the last straw. Adrena stood up and reached across the table, grabbing Sam by his collar and looking him in the eyes.

"Everyone loses people, Tarly. Death isn't an uncommon occurrence. You grieve for her and then you plan your revenge like the rest of us. How will you avenge her death? By sitting here blaming yourself?" Sam swallowed loudly, tears slightly swelling up in his eyes. The feisty brunette let go of his collar, pushing him back as she did and stood up. Adrena stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind her.

The men fell silent with only Sam's sniffling in the background. Jon sat there, stunned by her outburst. The way she spoke about death made him realize that she had probably lost someone important to her. It was evident in the way her voice cracked as she spoke of revenge, and the way her eyes held a mixture of pain and anger. He longed to understand her, to know why she was the way she was; but it wasn't his place and the girl clearly did not like him.

"I'm going to go apologize to him." Sam stated and stood from the table. The men surrounding him gave him odd looks, not seeing what he had to be sorry for. Jon stood as well, placing a hand on his friend's shoulder.

"I'll go with you." He led the man to the door and they walked out, looking for the girl. She was right outside, playing with her sword and twisting it around as if it soothed her. Sam stepped forward and cleared his throat.

"I'm sorry if I offended you." His voice was light and it shook slightly. It was almost comedic how badly this girl scared them.

Adrena looked up and shifted her sword in her hand, eyes falling on both men. She didn't like the way Jon was looking at her. It was almost like he pitied her and she wanted to hurt him for that. He didn't know her; he wasn't allowed to pity her.

"You shouldn't apologize, Samwell. It's a sign of weakness." She muttered and her gaze fell back on her sword, running a finger over the tip of it. A shiver ran down Jon's spine at the sight. She really was the most terrifying person he had ever encountered.

"Are you alright?" Adrena's eyes snapped up at Jon's question and her sword immediately shot out, holding it right in front of his throat. The man kept his composure, holding her stare with just as much intensity. She stepped forward and her tip of her sword pressed lightly to his throat- one more inch and she'd draw blood.

"I've waited so long to do this. You have no idea how long I've dreamt of killing you and finally being free of all this pain." Adrena's voice broke and she cleared her throat, refusing to give in to the emotions that wanted to be unleashed. Jon was confused and quite frankly, scared of his mind. He had no idea what she was capable of and that horrified him.

"Don't kill him. You'll regret it." Sam spoke up and Jon eyed him, wanting to shake his head and tell
him to shut up before he made it worse.

"You will never understand why I'm doing this! I have to! I have to kill him." Her hand shook slightly and it was the first time she had lost her composure in years. It angered her and she pressed her sword a little further into Jon's throat. It was enough to draw blood but not enough to do any damage. Sam took a step forward, his face full of determination.

"Unless you want everyone here to know that you're a girl, you'll leave him alone." Adrena lost focus on Jon at that, her eyes wide with surprise. That allowed Jon to back up and push her sword far enough from him that it fell from her hand. Her surprised look dropped to that of anger.

"I won't kill him today. I won't kill him tomorrow. I'll kill him when he's least expecting it. Neither of you can stop me. I have to do this... for him." Her eyes watered slightly and Adrena grabbed her sword, shoving it back in her sheath before running off to where she could be alone.

Jon held a hand to his throat, his eyes distant. He was trying to understand what she wanted with him. He would remember a face like hers. She was beautiful even when she was dressed as a boy. But Jon had never met this girl before, and he was determined to find out why she wanted him dead. Even if it killed him.

___

author's note:
this is kinda short and i hate it but i think it'll get more eventful in the next few chapters