Chapter One: Life Is Strange

Sal's POV:

"Hi, Sally Face! Whatcha' doing?" Megan asks me, leaning over my shoulder and gazing at Todd's research. The red string being held down by emerald pins should say enough for her, but she just watches in amazement. I sigh and pin the most recent paper about Nockfell to the pinboard.

"Why don't you go talk to Larry, Megan?" I tell her, spinning around and setting her down. She giggles and points to the door.

"He's out hunting! Besides, I want to be with you!" She squeals. I grin through my mask and call out to Ashley. She tears herself away from Robert and makes her way over to us. She leads Megan over to the small chest of toys that we found for her and Soda to play with. She laughs while playing with her Lettuce Head Lad. I look at us.

Four years ago, we were completely fine. We had all the time in the world to joke around and be kids. In fact, Maple was getting ready to have one of her own. And then Lisa, Larry's mom, had to turn my dad and herself into zombies and ruin everything.

Even that article about how to supposedly "survive the apocalypse" that we're going through is all bullshit! How do I know? That article was released three years ago, this hell has been going on for four.

"Sally, Sally boy! Larry is back!" I hear Megan squeal. I leap out of my seat and see Larry by the door. Since we've had to adapt to our current conditions, he has been the one to lookout for other zombies. He walks over to where Todd and Ashley are and drops a mushy bag into Todd's hands.

"Close your eyes, Megan." He says quietly, as she complies. He opens up the bag and a shrunken brain is revealed. Robert gags and parts from the scene. Todd picks up his magnifying glass and inspects the brain.

"Hmm, interesting. It appears that the brain cells have been corrupted and infected, possibly sending a chain reaction through the rest of the cerebral. After the cerebral was infected, the corpus callosum shut down, leaving all of the remaining systems to be easily influenced." Todd explains, all of us looking at him in confusion. He sighs. "Basically, whatever happened to these guys was done on purpose. It was PLANNED."

"Why would it be planned? Unless... you guys don't think that the cult had anything to do with this?" Ashley asks skeptically. Our eyes widen. No one dares to make a sound. Not even Megan says anything, knowing that whatever did this to us did this to her parents as well.

"All this time... all this time, we thought it was something that just happened out of the blue... but it was us..." I hear Larry whimper. Yes, he hasn't changed over the years with his slight anger issues, but he has more of a reason now. He lost his mom, I lost my dad, we still haven't gotten any information on Ashley's parents after they left to find help in California, them taking Neil with them.

"Larry, listen, I know how crazy this new information sounds, but this isn't your fault! It's none of our fault! We were stupid back then!" I argue, wiping away Larry's tears. He caresses my hand and sniffles.

"I...I just can't, right now. I need to lie down. Ash, can you help me out, please?" He asks, Ashley nodding. They go and make a small bed and Larry sits down. I sigh.

"You're just going to lie down?! At a time like this? We finally get a bit of information like this and you decide to sleep on it?!" Todd shouts. "We need to investigate this!"

Larry sighs. "You can't go out now. It's raining. Also there's a crap ton of zombies waiting to tear into your limbs and feast on your flesh. The last thing that you want is a missing arm AND the flu."

"We have coats. Todd and Robert went out yesterday and found a few extras that were still in good shape." Ashley adds, playing with Megan, trying to cheer her up. Robert shakes his head. "Nah, dude. Like, we JUST found out more about these monsters. Who knows what else they could be capable of?" We stand in silence for a moment. I grab my trench coat and toss it over my shoulder as Todd follows behind me. I see Larry put his head in his palms.