Chapter 38: Finn

Becca is wearing Ronan's sweatshirt. She's wearing his sweatshirt, and she's acting like it's completely normal; as if she didn't just spend seven minutes, alone, in the rain with the same roommate who's been trying to make my life miserable for a month. I try to catch her eye, but her attention is elsewhere. She's staring at Ronan. And she's staring at him hard. She's staring at his face like there's an invisible script imprinted there, one that only she can read, and if she's able to decipher it she'll finally understand all the mysteries in the universe. Her eyebrows are furrowed into tight knots, as if she's concerned. I can't imagine Becca feeling concerned for anyone, let alone Ronan, but then again, I never could've imagined what was going to happen tonight.

Ronan isn't looking at Becca. He's looking at me, and he's smirking like an asshole. Because he is an asshole. He's the biggest asshole in the universe.

I don't think I'll ever forgive him for this.

The two of them take their places in the circle. They both look so casual, as if nothing is out of the ordinary— as if they hang out in the rain and swap articles of clothing every other day. I feel my cheeks start to heat up. Despite the chilly breeze forcing its way through the window, the air inside the cabin feels suffocatingly warm.

Jasper looks alarmed. Giselle looks intrigued. I just try to keep my face blank.

"So," Giselle asks, "Who's up next?"

Something inside me snaps. A rib, maybe, from the impact of being stabbed in the back. "Nobody," I snap, reaching forward and snatching the ketchup bottle out of the circle and rolling it over to the other side of the room. "The game is over. The party is over. You guys need to leave."

Giselle recoils from the harshness of my words, her expression quickly turning incredulous. "Excuse me? Who gave you the right—"

"This is my cabin. I get to decide who stays and who goes."

"Oh, please," Ronan scoffs. "Don't act like you get to make all the rules around here. I live here too, you know."

"Nobody cares," I growl. Locking eyes with Giselle, I rise to my feet and jerk a finger towards the door. I know she's going to make my life a living hell for this, but I can't find it in my heart to care. All I know is that if I have to spend another second around these people, I'm going to lose my fucking mind. "Get out. You heard me."

Giselle opens her mouth to give a scathing rebuttal, but then Jasper places a hand on her shoulder. "I agree with Finn," he says softly. "It's getting late. We should all go back to our cabins and get some sleep."

She doesn't try to shove his hand away, but she doesn't listen to his words, either. "I don't know if you noticied," Giselle snarls at me, "but it's pouring outside. Do you really expect us to walk back in the rain?"

"Yeah. That's exactly what I expect. But don't worry— just because you act like the Wicked Witch of the West doesn't mean the water will actually make you melt. At least, I hope it doesn't."

Giselle's pretty face twists dangerously. "Now you listen here, Fish—"

"No more fighting!" Jasper exclaims. "Please, Giselle, let's just go. Your cabin is near mine— we can walk together. It's not like this birthday party was that fun, anyways."

"It doesn't matter if it was fun. What matters is that Finn is being a total dick!"

I flash her a sardonic smile. "I don't think I made my myself very clear. If you don't leave right now, I'll the Director that you were here after light's out. How's that for a fun birthday party?"

Jasper gapes at me. "Finn, you wouldn't."

"I would, and I will. So leave."

"You're unbelievable," Giselle says furiously. "You are really, truly un—"