Chapter 4

As he tried to sleep his stomach roared louder and louder. He hadn’t eaten in days. He was scared that if he left the place he now called home, he would be discovered and the government would come right back for him. He had found some clothes that had fit him perfectly covering his wings so that he wouldn’t stand out so much. He tried the water faucet in the bathroom and washed up as best as he could, getting most of the grime and muck off of his face. When he finished he quietly snuck out of the house unseen and headed in search of food. The nightlife had proven quite interesting to him. Troy was hitting the bed at 7:30pm but now it was 8:45pm and all these people out and about was amazing to see. Back home they would all be asleep in the comfort of their own homes since it was pitch dark at night but here he could see the buildings and the people walking about, talking and enjoying themselves. Unsure of where exactly in the city he was he found himself downtown. This was all new to him, he had never heard of movies or ever seen a movie theatre but, standing across the street where people gathered in a line for the ticket booth was a movie theatre with many different movie titles.

“I wonder what it’s like inside” he asked himself amazed at what he saw.

He crossed the street and got closer to the theatre. There was only one guy at the ticket booth but soon 3 more appeared to assist their fellow worker. As he got closer without realizing it he stood next to a couple that had a child the same age as Troy.

“This is going to be so cool, it is finally here I can’t wait to see what happens to Alex. I have been waiting to see THE LEGEND OF THE DARK PHOENIX for months now since they said the movie was coming out,” the boy ranted.

“Okay Devon, we get it son you love the books and you love the movie” Devon’s father said.

“Devon” Troy said out loud without realizing that they had heard him.

The couple turned around to look at Troy who had looked abandoned and scared. In which of course he was on a world very big and scary to him.

“Yes” Devon mentioned looking at Troy.

“Devon do you know him?” his mother asked.

“No mommy I never seen him” he answered.

“How does he know your name?” she asked.

“I don’t know” Devon replied.

“I’m sorry, it’s just that my brother’s name was Devon and well I miss him, I’m all by myself now. Sorry” Troy explained.

The man approached him closer and knelt down in front of Troy wiping Troy’s tears away from his cheeks.

“I’m sorry too son, but where are your parents” He asked.

More tears poured down as all the memories of his families’ slayings came rushing back.

“Dead” he finally managed to say out loud.

The father knowing what it was like to have lost a parent at a young age embraced Troy pulling him closer. The touch of a human was very warming to Troy, he hadn’t felt so comforted, so safe since his mother’s death. He let it all out and hung on to the man tighter not wanting to let go. As the man held on Troy’s couldn’t help it but his stomach growled louder than before.

“You must be very hungry son,” He asked.

“Yes, I don’t remember the last time I had any food?” Troy replied.

“Jeff let’s go get him food, we can’t leave him like this” Devon’s mother mentioned.

Jeff looked at Troy and then at Devon before responding.