Six

Milton High is no different from any other high school. Even with its elite founders and prestigious reputation, academic excellence, and competitive programs, its administrators still aim to be inclusive through the admission of low-to-middle-income class students through scholarships, and providing a typical high school spirit. Hence, the presence of school traditions and events. 

Now, Milton High is buzzing with the commencement of its OrgWeek where all authorized high school clubs and organizations put up stalls to recruit freshmen and returning students alike. The organizations also prepared activities scattered throughout the week, so classes are retained for half a day.

It was something most students rejoiced about. Most, but not all.

Josh Beauchamp hated being there. For the fifteen years of being in school, the only school event he participated in was a school play in grade school when he was cast as a tree. Since then, he found solace in being in libraries or at home and rather enjoyed accompanying his parents on business trips and meetings. Besides, he hates socializing.

"If you're going to Oxford and join their elite club, you'll be socializing there, smartass," Will had pointedly told him. "Besides, Taylor is going to be there. Are you letting that opportunity pass?" He teased him, and it took all of his effort to school his facial expressions and not satisfy him by reacting. Because it wasn't at all true.

So there he was, manning the Math Club booth, unknowingly glancing at Taylor Hatala every now and then. Their booth was northwest of his, and she is being friendly and accommodating as usual to the students who flocked to their booth. She was still seated on the doughnut cushion Alex gave her, smiling and laughing with the students she was chatting with.

Suddenly, a group of four boys came up in front of the girl's booth, pushing each other and clearly arguing about who was going to ask questions. Clearly, they were smitten by the girl; who wouldn't? She was extra pretty that day, her hair was down and her light brown locks were curled, her bright blue eyes were shining like clear waters under the sun. Josh didn't even notice the frown that marred his forehead as he watched the boys.

"You can't fool me, my friend. I just took a video of you staring at her with goo-goo eyes, and I'm about to send this to everyone. That'll be a great scandal," Will's voice slashed through his thoughts and he immediately tore his gaze away from her. He looked at his friend who was laughing while looking at his phone.

Without thinking twice, Josh reached out for his phone but Will moved it away from his grasp.

"Hey, hey, hey!" Will said, chuckling. "I was kidding! See?" he showed him his phone gallery and scrolled. Josh let out a sigh of relief, rolling his eyes and subconsciously, his gaze went to the girl again.

"So...spill the tea," Will asked with a wide grin.

"What tea? I'm not drinking any tea," Josh asked in confusion.

Will rolled his eyes at his ignorance. "That you're having a little crush on Nice Girl," Will propped his chin on his palm with a silly grin on.

Josh glared at him. "I don't have a crush on her."

"Riiight," Will rolled his eyes and stood right back up, nudging him to accommodate a group of students who approached their booth.

He looked up to the girls who just stood in front of him with a bored gaze, and with just one look, they froze, before sheepishly walking away. He sighed.

"What did you do?" Will asked incredulously.

"I didn't do anything," Josh muttered.

"Can you just not glare at people?"