Eleven

Sean Lew and Kaycee Rice never thought they could stay silent –no bickering, no insults, no anything –given that they were the only ones awake throughout the drive. Kaycee took the liberty driving them into the next two towns where she said she has a friend that could possibly help them, and Sean took the opportunity to ride shotgun to "make sure you're not going to commit another crime" – his exact words. 

The petite rebel could only roll her eyes for the nth time but did not oppose to it, just wanting to get out of there as fast as they could. Who knows someone had already tipped off the cops about the hide out, just like somebody had tipped off about her friends' illegal transaction?

Sean didn't really mean what he said; he just wanted to annoy her, wanting to have an upper hand in their unspoken rivalry by having the control over the radio. That, and he wanted to ride shotgun and make sure they are all safe. But when he realized that the other four started dozing off in the back seat, he couldn't go on with his juvenile plan. And so he busied himself looking out the window, the view of the dense forests parallel to the paved road passing by like a blur, willing himself not to glance at the girl with her pretty pink cheeks.

Wait, what? The leader caught himself thinking, internally shuddering of the direction his mind is going.

Unaware of his thoughts, Kaycee fixed her eyes on the road, determined to get to their destination as soon as possible, silently cursing the old car and its literal speed limit. Drawing a silent breath, she looked at the rear view mirrors to check the road behind them, only to notice the backseat occupants instead.

The four was fast asleep. Bailey was leaning her head on Ken's shoulder while the latter had scooted down his seat to accommodate her, his head leaning on the window. However, what caught the rebel's attention was the other two – Josh and Taylor asleep, too, heads tipped back on the head rest. But the girl's head kept on slipping, bobbing, then leaning on the elite's shoulder for a second before jerking back to tip back on the head rest –and the cycle starts over again. Kaycee interchangeably glanced between the road and mirrors, until that moment when Josh, with eyes still shut, held Taylor's head steady against his shoulder, before leaning his head on hers.

Kaycee's brows arched slowly, intrigued. Not helping herself, she slapped her hand on Sean's arm rapidly, getting his attention. The leader quirked a brow, and seeing her nodding towards the back, he turned around and saw the current arrangement of the two pairs. He scoffed, facing back front.

"I wouldn't be surprised, really," Sean said rather quietly. "Taylor's really nice. Bailey's surprisingly nice and trusting to Ken, too. Ken's a decent dude, though it is kinda weird."

Kaycee grimaced. "Bailey? And Ken?" the girl hissed. "Give me a fucking break. My guy has standards –"

"What are you talking about? Bailey is pretty, she plays in varsity, is popular –"

"Really? That's your standard?" Kaycee said flatly. "How about that she's not that gifted in the brains department, is a bully, and is a heartbreaker?"

"Hey. There's probably more to her than all that," Sean shrugged.

"Why don't you date her, then? You know, you kinda match," she smirked.

He glared at her. "Just because I used to sleep around, doesn't mean that we 'match'," he said. "And no. I just don't see her that way...she dated my friend for Pete's sake."

"Oh yeah?" a teasing grin forming on the girl's lips. "Who's your type, then? Me?" she purred, just to rile him up.

Sean scoffed, choosing to keep mum. As much as he wants to have an upper hand, he just couldn't find anything to insult her with right at that moment. He threw a furtive glance at her, seeing that teasing smirk still on her lips, thick lashes fluttering as she blinks, bright, hazel eyes on the road.