Nineteen

A few hours earlier

A few hours earlier

"San Jose, you're free to go."

His mind was only registered the sound of the cell locks opening and the appearance of the officer right in front of his crouched figure. The base of his neck was throbbing in pain due to the position he fell asleep in, and he could feel the dull, numbing pain on his jaw where his dad hit him. His eyes squinted at the officer, not bothering to put his glasses on, waiting for his mind to wake up.

"W-What?" he croaked.

"I said, you're free to go. Mrs. Beauchamp and your school withdrew their charges against you, kid."

Now that was enough to wake him up. For the past couple of days he was fighting his anxious thoughts that grew exponentially in the silence. He wasn't given any lawyer, nor was he brought in for any form of questioning. The only time he was out of the cell was when his father came and practically humiliated him in front of the officers, resulting in the large bruise on his jaw. He felt the anxiety rising then, but he tried so hard to stay present, talking himself out of his panic. His father was dead drunk, and was let off with a warning; he didn't even bother giving him a false hope of taking him out there. Ken had no energy to tell them his situation at home; as if they'll do something about it.

He could only blink, his presence of mind practically absent. "W-What?" he stammered again.

"You're a free guy, kid. Now get your ass up before we change our minds," the officer joked.

Still wide-eyed as he slowly stood up, he absentmindedly followed the officer-in-charge and numbly hugged his bag to his chest as it was given to him.

And as he turned to the reception area, he was met by Josh Beauchamp, now all cleaned up and dressed in his pristine clothes and with a small grin on his face.

"I -I d-don't und-derstand -" he started, but air got knocked off his chest as the guy came up and wrapped him in his arms, clapping his back. Ken is tongue-tied, still confused as Josh released him.

"I don't usually do hugs, so consider yourself special. Now sign those documents and let's go," Josh said and promptly turned on his heel.

"W-Wait -" Ken could only sign in haste before following Josh in his car.

"W-Where are w-we g-going? C-Can you t-tell me w-what's g-going on?" Ken asked as soon as he sat in the car with him, the chauffeur wordlessly pulling away from the station.

"Long story short, explained to mother most of the things that happened. Took her quite a while to be convinced to pull out the charges but she finally heeded," Josh explained, putting on sunglasses, but Ken could see that he was hesitating with something. He cleared his throat and faced him. "I kind of told my mom about your situation with your da -wait, where did you get that bruise?" he asked, brows furrowing.