3 ~ landlord

I RUBBED THE COFFEE STAIN ON THE COUNTERTOP FOUR TIMES

This was my way of coping with my landlord's morning call. He was pestering me about a two-month delayed payment. Last month's salary only went around to survive and Ace's band didn't perform for an entire month that our balance went downhill. You've got two more days, the landlord said. Two days wouldn't buy me time, but I had to pay the fucking rent.

"Chill," Sarah said, touching my shoulder. I threw the cloth aside and let out a sigh. "What's wrong?"

"Life crisis." I slid past her to take an order from a customer. I glanced at Sarah as the customer took his time to decide. "Landlord called," I said hastily. As she drew close enough to hear me, I lowered my tone. "He rightfully wants his payment and gave me two days."

"Can you meet the amount in two days?"

I shook my head no and yelled mushroom burger toward the kitchen. After tucking the payment into the cash register, I pushed it close and looked at her. "I'll find a way," I said, trying my best to assure her—and myself. My eyes fell on my hand. I needed a manicure—well, I needed one day-long self-care session after forgetting about anything related to self in two years.

My life comprised working half-time, mothering full time, and cursing at my life constantly. I direly needed to lend my life to someone for a few days and relax.

"You know what?" With her bottom lip caught between her teeth, Sarah looked ready to drop a bomb. "I can lend you money."

"No."

As I turned my attention to the ready order, she followed me with a sigh. "Come on, Kara. Stop being stubborn. You can pay me back next month or whenever." I ignored her. The last thing I was ever going to do was to borrow money from anyone. As she opened her mouth to say something else, my phone chimed in my apron pocket. Ace was calling.

"Mom." Sophie's sleepy voice tucked my lips upward. "I miss you."

"Baby." Sarah's curious gaze softened at my reaction. "I miss you back. I'll be there soon, I promise. Play with Daisy until I come." I met Sarah's gaze and mouthed to her to take care of customers as I finished the phone call. Passing through the kitchen, I walked toward the exit.

"I'm hungry." Could a voice make you want to be home so badly? I wish I didn't need to work and spend the day with my daughter. Then, I remembered the rent debt.

"Isn't Ace there? Tell your uncle to feed you."

"Sleeping." I heard the muffled sounds of her walking, and soon she was calling his name. As the reasons I should curse at Ace was increasing every fucking minute, he was making it impossible for me to keep calm. If only he attempted to keep things together, we would live a better quality of life.