9 ~ pancakes

THE BEST MORNINGS STARTED WITH DAISY'S FACE LICKS

Sophie would always be on watch as Daisy was on me, stifling a laugh. This Saturday was no different. I ruffled Daisy's fur and straightened my back to make a room for Soph. "We went to the park with Ace." She was wearing a floral dress with a messy hair bun.  Ace failed to do proper buns, but she still looked the cutest. A smile cracked on my lips, totally grateful that walking Daisy out was out of the list because I was feeling the worst.

My period was round the corner so the pre-period cramps just kicked in. Sophie hopped onto the bed and got on her feet to jump. "Hey." I caught her and dragged her down to lie beside me. "You'll break mommy's bed." She laughed at my comment. God, she's got the best laughter in the whole world. I joined her laugh as she tried to stand up again, and tickled her to prevent her from getting up.

"Mommy," she yelled with a burst of laughter as Daisy barked as if something happened. "Stop."

I released her after kissing her neck and pushed the sheets off of me to head to the bathroom. Outside the room, a pleasant smell filled the air, tucking the right strings of my stomach. Is Ace preparing breakfast? 

Defeated to my curiosity, I first trudged to the kitchen to find Ace pouring pancakes into the pan. A low rock song accompanied him in the background as he swayed his hips to the rhythm.

The last time he made pancakes for me, he asked for a favor. Crossing my arms over my chest, I leaned against the doorjamb and patiently waited for him to notice my presence. He did, after a few minutes, and shot me a smile. "Good morning, lazy."

"You're breaking the world record of being the best brother today."

"Trying my best," he replied smilingly. "Go wash your face, it's almost ready."

I did as I was told, washing my face and taking a painkiller to put an end to this annoying cramp. When I went back, Ace and Sophie were already seated at the table. "Ace, I want Nutella." He passed the jar to her.

As I plopped down next to her, Ace filled filter coffee to my mug and I muttered a silent thank you. Taking a sip from my coffee, I watched Sophie dip her knife into the jar and create a Nutella mess on her pancake. "You can only eat two," I warned her, "then brush your teeth right away." She offered me an unpleasant look but didn't protest. She took a bite from her pancake, leaving chocolate traces on the corner of her lips, then sipped on her milk.

"Daisy?" I asked, remembering she would be barking beside my chair.

"I gave her food."

Ace was ticking his way through the list. "Wow," I said, beaming at him. Scrolling down his screen, he gave me a sly smile, decidedly aware that he colored me impressed this morning. Asking what he wanted and why he was making such an effort was on the tip of my tongue, but I bit it back not to ruin this atmosphere. He was; that was it. That was all that mattered.