38 ~ dad

SOPHIE PULLED A STRING OF MY HEART THAT WAS BURIED DEEP INSIDE

I made eye contact with Kara as she spun around to glance at me, wondering what this question made her think. Her eyes were wide in shock and her cheeks the soft pink blush. Was she embarrassed by the question? Knowing her authority over Sophie, I didn't want to reply in a way that would upset Kara — ignoring Soph's question could hurt her. What a dilemma.

"Uh," I let out in desperation, awaiting a pass from Kara.

"Sophie, baby," Kara took the lead by catching Sophie's attention back. "Austin isn't your father." Sophie's disappointed pout broke my heart. I could fathom why Kara didn't mention her father's existence before, but it was inevitable as she grew up and mingled with other kids. She needed to have the talk.

"Some people don't have a father," she continued. This was a dangerous path to take since Sophie could prove this wrong. It was a temporary solution that may have resulted in a severe problem. I couldn't tell her that at the moment, but I noted to do so when we were alone. "For example, I didn't have one."

When Sophie pouted next, a knee-jerk sentence left my mouth: "But I can be your father." That paused Kara, turning her to look at me in surprise. But, Sophie beamed at me, and it was worth it. I kneeled before her and said, "We can do anything you want to do."

Kara mouthed, "What are you doing?" but I ignored that — I would regret this later. But getting Soph's points seemed more important. Sophie threw her tiny arms around me, and I hugged her back. I didn't love Sophie because of Kara — this little girl had a unique and separate part in my heart. I'd do anything to make her happy.

As Sophie went back to play with the dogs, silence crept in. She was staring down at her coffee with a thoughtful expression on her face. "Thank you," she said in a low tone. Thank you? When she raised her gaze at me, she smiled. "She looked thrilled to find a father for herself."

"Her happiness makes me happy, too."

"I know." Kara sighed, pulling her hair back. I just—I don't want you to feel pressured into something you're not ready for. It could—"

"Kara," I cut her off. "I know about child development, and even if not, I know better than playing with a little girl's feelings. I said those words to Soph because I meant every single of them."

"It's not only about Sophie, Austin. It's about you. I don't want you to panic and step back. I don't expect you to be the father of my child. I can handle that—I've handled that for now. I just want a happy, healthy relationship with a guy I'm fond of and someone who likes my daughter just fine. Nothing more than that."

I leaned forward to hold her hand. "I can make my own decisions, and there's no way you two can scare me off. I accept the father role for Sophie — take some weight off your chest. It's not about taking extra responsibility, babe; it's a part of loving someone." I pulled her closer to take her into my arms. "And I love you so, so much." I brushed my nose against hers.