8. The Play

Zach was awakened by the feeling of soft lips against his cheek. His eyes shot open right before he remembered he had slept beside Fandy the night before.

A hand smoothed over his hair. "I gotta go to class." Zach nodded, watching as Yu Hao walked away from the bed and to the door. He was unlocking it when Zach stood, walking over to him. He was still drowsy with sleep and walking proved to be more of a challenge than he thought.

"When can I see you again?" Zach asked, putting a hand on Fandy's shoulder. Fandy turned closer to him, smiling softly.

"Text me." He whispered, because the words seemed too delicate to speak. "We can figure out a time we're both free."

"Okay." Zach smiled, and this time, without Fandy asking and without hesitation, he leaned in and kissed him.

Fandy wished the kiss could last for longer than it did, but he pulled away before his knees gave out. "I gotta go."

"Have a good day." Zach grinned at him, clinging to the door when Fandy turned back and waved, before disappearing out of sight, the front door slamming shut.

When he slumped back against the door, still able to smell Fandy on his shirt, he knew that he was totally, completely, utterly in love with Fandy.

•••

Fandy was early to class, and so he sat down in his usual spot and took out his phone. His bag carried his clothes from yesterday, as well as his pyjamas and his toothbrush. His hands were slightly shaky, only from the goodbye kiss Zach had pressed to his lips without even asking. That meant it was somewhat serious now.

But he still wanted to hear it from Zach. Watch as those pink lips told him what kind of relationship he wanted, what kind of love this was. He hoped Zach texted him soon, so his leg would stop bouncing so violently.

A girl, short and smiling sweetly, snapped Fandy out of his romantic thoughts.

"Good morning, Fandy." She grinned widely. He recognized her now as one of his classmates, a lesser known one who he had, (once or twice) caught staring at him during improv games.

"Good morning." He smiled back, being kind. "Sorry, I seem to have forgotten your name?"

"It's Chi Chi." She said, playing with her hands in her lap.

"Nice to meet you, then." At that moment, Fandy's phone buzzed, and it took all his physical and emotional strength not to pounce on it. Instead, he turned politely, facing the front of the class, before pulling it back out and looking at it.

Zach: did you make it to class alright?

Fandy held back a grin at the words on the screen. He immediately opened it and texted back.

Fandy: ya, i all good here :)

The smiley face was a personal touch. He checked the time. 7:57. Zach better respond soon.

Zach: when do you want to see each other again?

Fandy had to be honest. He had three minutes left.

Fandy: anytime. preferably 2nite.

Zach: your grammar is disgusting.

The text made Fandy giggle. He was about to open it and text again, but Zach beat him to it.

Zach: but yes. tonight sounds good. your place or mine?

Fandy: mine. u have the address.

Zach: yes.

A second later, another text.

Zach: see you tonight.

"Okay class." The teacher spoke up, calling attention to the class room of college students. "Before class starts today, I have to make an announcement."

Fandy leaned forward, his phone now facedown on the desk. He was curious to know what the announcement was about.

"Tryouts for the play will be held tonight in the concert hall. Please come if you are interested in having a role." His face was stern, but Fandy couldn't think of anything but the fact that he would have to cancel Zach and his date to try out for the play. "That's all for that. Let's begin class now."

Class was fairly uneventful, but Fandy was unfocused and anxious to text Zach. He was hoping that Zach would be willing to come later or reschedule, but on the other hand, he wanted to see Zach as soon as possible. He wanted to touch him and kiss him and ask him more questions about who he was. He wanted to learn all of Zach's secrets and have Zach teach him everything he knew about being in a relationship.

Eventually, after an hour of painstaking drama practices, the class was dismissed. Except, not quite.

"Fandy, Chi Chi, can I see you both for a second?"

Fandy glanced at the smiling girl beside him, who blushed at his gaze. Fandy wondered what the professor needed to see both of them for, wondered what he thought was happening between them. He wanted her to know he was taken, but also wasn't confident enough to let her know it was by Zach.

He walked, with Chi Chi following, to the professor, then stood before him, awaiting needed information.

"Fandy, Chi Chi." He addressed them, nodding when he said their names. "I've called you both over because I'm prepared to offer the male and female role to the both of you, respectively. You've both shown outstanding work in my class so far."

The... the lead role? Fandy was convinced his ears were deceiving him. He hadn't even tried out and the professor was making this decision based on his hard work in class.

Plus, this meant he could spend time with Zach tonight.

"I would like you both to try out, regardless." Fandy fell from heights of one thousand down to ten. "But unless I feel you fit best in another character, the lead role is yours."

Fandy smiled, bowing politely. "Thank you, professor-"

"Professor, I have a question!" Chi Chi interrupted, her voice squeaky and loud. "What  is the plot of this years play?"

"It's a romance story." He answered, then checked his watch. "Okay. I'll see you two tonight."

Fandy nodded, but as soon as he turned around, Chi Chi pounced on him, grabbing his arm and cooing. "Ooh, Fandy! I'm so excited to act with you." She gazed up at him, and he smiled nervously.

"Haha, yeah, me too." He responded, but honestly, he didn't know how to feel.