Butterflies

"You'll do what?" the sheriff asked with a smug look on his face, slowly calming down and sitting back on his chair.

"I'll leave," I breathed out "Only if you let her out." I added, blinking my eyes rapidly and wanting to push back the tears that had started to form.

"Great," he smiled "You can go now."

"Not yet!" I replied desperately "All I want is a bike and to hear her voice as soon as she comes out."

The man looked skeptical, his brows were furrowed. Pushing his glasses further up on the bridge of his nose, he nodded and held the telephone to his ear.

After a few minutes he hang up and looked at me, his stare sending chills down my spine.

"I got you the motorcycle." the sheriff spoke "It will be here in half an hour."

"Alright, get Nayeon out of the White Room." I looked down at my trembling hands, biting my lip "After that, I will leave forever." I mumbled, the annoying pain in my chest growing more intense.

The man picked up the phone again and dialed a rather long number, putting his phone to his ear, he sighed.

"Sheriff Im," the man announced "Could you please hand the phone to mister Jung?" he asked, tapping his fingers on the big desk in front of him.

I just sat there, looking at him. My mind spinning with all the new information, all the new tasks I had been given to complete. I had to leave Gimje, leave everyone. I had to leave her, all my friends.

I was never attached to anyone, ever, not even my family. The thought of leaving everything behind never terrified me, starting a new life all by myself was always something I wanted to do. But, could I really go away after meeting Nayeon? After realizing that I was indeed deeply in love with her? Because yeah, I may have found her weird and annoying when I first met her, but the way she would smile and always thank me whenever I taught her a new thing made my heart flutter. The way she would scold me for vandalizing the city hall or the look she would give me whenever I made fun of her caused my stomach to twist and turn in the sweetest, yet the most unbearable and terrifying way ever. I had never felt butterflies in my stomach and usually picked on Chaeyoung about believing in such stuff, but when I was around her I felt like I could throw up a whole bunch of those butterflies, or maybe an actual rainbow. And now that I learned that she, too, was feeling something similar made me want to stay and fight for her more. If I stayed, though, I would be selfish and hurt her more.

"Let Nayeon out and immediately sent her home, tell her to expect a big talk with me." the sheriff spoke.

I had to leave and even if that hurt both of us it would someday fade away. Nayeon would eventually be happy, just like our mothers were. I couldn't risk her happiness, I couldn't risk her whole life and future just because I was weak and fell for her. Yes, I was weak. Because I let myself fall for her, knowing damn well what the world might think, what her parents would think. Maybe, if I met another girl I wouldn't give much attention to the world, but with her it was different. I can't bear to see her fall apart, I can't bear to see her sad. So it would be the best to leave, wouldn't it?

"Father?" a very familiar voice spoke, making my eyes widen and the pain in my chest go away for a split second.

"Didn't I tell mister Jung to get you home?" the sheriff asked in a stern tone.

"I'm sorry father," Nayeon's voice, even if shaky, was loud enough for me to hear. "I just wanted to thank you." she said "I'll talk to you home." the girl added and ended the call.

The man put the phone down and took off his glasses. Taking a sip of the last bit of coffee that hadn't spilled out of his cup, he glanced at me.

"Thank you for cooperating," the sheriff spoke "The motorcycle is already outside the station." he said with a smile and escorted me out of his office.

"Please take care of her." I whispered as I walked closer to the bike, getting on top of it and driving off.

-kimwig