【Chapter。One】

Remember the kid who was staring at your ass? Yeah, that's him.

June 3rd, 1994

THE SUMMER OF '94 was a summer that three girls would never forget.

Three Latinas found themselves waiting with anticipation on what to do next that afternoon. They each sat in the bedroom of "Yo-yo" Diablo, a short Puerto Rican whose hair was up in a stiff bun as she moved items from a large box into her room. The girl who sat on her neatly made bed was Jazlynette Moner. Her hair was of a brown color and cut above her shoulders. The third girl had also recently moved along with her cousin. Her name was Marylin Vasquez. She, on the other hand, had dark brown waves of hair that went to her hips.

"Jaja que funny," Yo-yo said as she glared at her friend while hanging clothes in her closet.

"Just saying, I'm almost positive that guy was staring at your ass when y'all got here," Jazlynette said as she smirked.

"Well then he's a pervert."

"Hate to break it to you, but most guys are," Marylin said as she twisted a piece of her long hair. Her mind drifted to the boys back home, then to the boys she hoped to meet here.

"Nope, the guy for me is gonna be absolutely perfect. If any pervert tries to touch me, he's got another thing coming," the other two just laughed as Yo-yo put her hands on her hips, declaring this statement.

"There is no such thing as the perfect guy. Trust me," Jazlynette then stared off, as if thinking of a separate experience of her own. Yo-yo rolled her eyes at her best friend while placing a few objects on the small desk in her room. Marylin was also lost in her own thought while sitting down on the bed.

Yo-yo took her hair out of her bun and quickly brushed through it. The wavy, light brown strands reached past her shoulders as she continued to brush through the many knots. At the moment, she wore a white shirt with a pair of jeans. She looked over at Marylin who had on a pink tank top with white shorts and a pair of thin, round glasses that were placed on her nose. Jazlynette had on a graphic-tee with black shorts.

Each girl was different, making them perfect for each other. Jazlynette was probably the most frank of the three. She wasn't afraid to speak her mind when someone said something, and she was never afraid of what they would think. She was her own person. She was fun too. Being able to make people think is one thing, but being able to make people laugh is another. At times, she was closed off. She didn't think that she needed to be the center of attention all the time- but she knew if she wanted to, she could be. She had her own demons of course, but those were her secrets; buried beneath old records and sad songs. She was driven by her anger, something she incorporated into hitting a ball with a bat. Her anger was her storm, only calmed when released.

Yo-yo was still trying to figure out who she was. She tried to be a live-in-the-moment type of person, but her mind kept pressing towards the future. There was a sensibility within her though. She was almost equally driven by her mind and her heart. She knew how to use logic, but also steady it out with her emotions. Falling in love was the easy part, it was whether they were the right one-that was always the hardest part. She was passionate in everything she did and said. Compared to Lin, she was definitely the most reliable-always knowing how to help a person and gain their trust. She was the balance, the scales, that brought them all together.

Marylin didn't want people to know anything, but at the same time she wanted them to know everything. She wasn't very practical, being fully driven by her emotions rather then what her mind told her. Being in bad relationships would seem to be a constant theme with her. She cared for people, always wanting what was best for them rather then herself. She didn't want to get hurt, but she put herself in situations where she was hurt. Somehow, she managed to stay happy. She definitely knew how to get someone's attention, and loving the attention they'd give her. It was like she was never ending smiles and tears, the sort of thing she would only understand.