【Chapter。Three】

》Are you trying to get Bertram to kiss you or something?《

June 7th, 1994

   YO-YO WAS NOT A tomboy, but she also wasn't a "girly girl". Sure she enjoyed hanging out with boys and playing baseball some days, but she wasn't all about that life like Jaz was. She was sort of both-but she had her days where she was one rather than the other, and June seventh happened to be one of those days.

    The girls had been playing at the sandlot for almost three days now, and everyday was the same. No one kept score, no one checked the time, no one was separated into teams-they just played ball. Benny and Jaz would sometimes rotate with the bat. Lin and Kenny also rotated pitcher, otherwise Lin would be in left field with Smalls. Yo-yo usually was in the right field with Squints-which never ended well. But Ham also let her be in the catchers position when he needed water. Every once and a while, the positions would change to give another player a chance to bat, but usually it just staid the same for hours.

    Yo-yo had put her hair up in a pony tail and was playing right field left while Squints was playing right field center. Both were sweating, as was Yeah-Yeah who stood not far in front of the two. Yo-yo stared over at Benny who was up at the bat.

    Damn, Lin was not wrong. He is as hot as hell.
The girl thought to herself as she continued to watch Yeah-Yeah catch the ball that Benny had hit just a few seconds before. The game continued for about another thirty minutes until it was interrupted by Squints yelling, "I. Need. Water!"

    All twelve of them rushed to the dugout where they were greeted by the glorious sensation that filled them. Yo-yo huffed as she sat down her bottle of water and looked at the eleven other people who chugged it down their throats.

    "Come on! You guys take forever!" Yo-yo let out an exasperated sigh as the guys just breathed for air.

    "Yo-yo.....it's like......one hundred degrees out there!" Timmy said between breathes.

    "100 degrees!" Tommy repeated.

    "Yeah yeah! We might be crazy, but we're not that crazy," Yeah-Yeah said, referring to the many times Yo-yo and Lin referred to them as "crazy, no-good boys;" which did not making the girl any happier. It was one o'clock, which meant that in an hour everyone would head home for lunch and eventually return for another game-which, at the moment, seemed unlikely.

    "Yo-yo, I'd never want to stop playing baseball, but this is too hot-even for California!" Jaz complained. Even she did not have enough energy to break more sweat than she already had-and she knew that at any given moment, Yo-yo would be unable to even stand.

    "Nah, I agree with Yo-yo. We only have so much time in a day," Benny looked straight over at Jaz, as if saying it just to go against her point. Jaz glared, and as much as she loved baseball-she hated Benjamin Rodriguez much, much more. But then again, there was some very mixed emotions here.

    "I say we just come back later and see if it cools down-if not, we just do whatever," Lin shrugged, obviously not really in the mood to play baseball for another hour...or for the rest of the day.

    "I agree. Boy is it too hot to play right now!" Squints says while fanning Lin with his baseball cap. Of course he thought about Wendy Peffercorn constantly, but what guy would only stick to one girl when there is another one right in front of him? Definitely not Squints, that's who.

    "Shut up Squints!"

    "Yeah yeah, shut up Squints."

    "Shut up Yeah-Yeah."