→ᵗʷᵒ

Episode Two: Our Town𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊

𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊𖥸❊

for ten days now, we've locked ourselves in our houses and cried ourselves to sleep. asked, "what is this place that looks like home?" and, "why are we here?" what we know for certain is that the sun came up, not too long ago at 5:41am. which is how it should be, heading towards the summer solstice. but at the train station, the 7:10 to new york never arrived. neither did the 7:25. no trains arrived yesterday, or the day before. or the day before that. some people believed that we would wake up from this and the dream would be over, and that everything would, again, be like it was before. ten days is a long time to believe that. but the sun just keeps coming up everyday and you can't cry forever. you have to put your shoes on, you have to eat, you have to have hope. dont you? because who knows? maybe tomorrow.

   "if it's something we did, tell us. or if there's something we need to do, give us some clue." katherine sat in the church, listening to the usual 'morning pray.' every morning, a small group would gather around a pile of large, stacked rocks, pray and say useless things. today, katherine was hanging out in the gazebo with cassandra, allie and helena. allie sat down beside her on the steps.
"useless." kat muttered.
"never would have pegged lexie as a conduit to the heavens." cassandra said with her eyes glued to the small group.
"you have to admit, they're fair questions given the circumstances." the younger blonde said as she locked her gaze on her sister. well, she wasnt wrong to which kat could agree.
"so we ran into gretchen on our way here." allie turned to face the girl beside her, the pair locking eyes as they spoke
"yeah, what'd she say?" katherine asked, raising her eyebrow with curiosity.
"she was sitting on the bench, waiting for the bus to come and get us. today's supposed to be the way we came back from the trip." allie broke eye contact with the brunette, focusing her gaze on the green.
"well at least she has a bit of hope. i've honestly ran out of it at this point." kat sighed out her response. the current day was quite gloomy, compared to the day the students first arrived. the weather definitely fits their moods.
"hey you guys!" a female shouted in hopes of getting everyone's attention.
"woah check it out!" kat looked over to me here the girl was pointing. the sky suddenly got dark and the sun was even brighter, losing its shape. it was a solar eclipse.
"we asked for a sign!" lexie exclaimed, clearly excited about the situation.
"what does it mean?"
"it doesn't mean anything! it's a fucking solar eclipse. it's not a sign, it's a predictable astronomical event." gordie broke the news to the desperate people with a book in hand.
"but the next solar eclipse isn't scheduled until 2024." katherine whispered to herself, her eyebrows furrowed together in confusion.
"just don't stare at it, and we'll be fine."

   "they can't actually believe that they can move the planets and the stars." cassandra ranted.
   "makes them feel better. doesn't have to do more than that." her younger sister responded, passing out plates full of food to everyone in her kitchen. everyone meaning katherine, becca, sam, gordie, cassandra and of course, allie.
   "i hope it works out for them. id like to find a way to feel better." becca slowly started to eat as she spoke.
     "i like the eggs." sam complimented. "coffee too." he looked at gordie and smiled, who smiled back. "i feel better already."
   "alright, uh, were heading back to town hall to see what's hidden in those files. why this place is exactly like home, except no parents and no smell." becca told the group, also signing for sam.
   "maybe it was our parents who stank." allie responded as a joke.
   "yeah, that would explain it." katherine laughed. she knew a little bit of sign language, so she tried her best for sam. he too, laughed and sipped his coffee.
   "a parallel universe." gordie said out of the blue. kat looked up at him in confusion. "uh were in a-a parallel universe." he stuttered, moving his gaze to the female. "or maybe... i don't know."
   the front door slammed, which caused the small group to focus their attention to the noise.
   "where have you been?" allie asked will, who caused the ruckus.
   "scoping out a new house. that big place on carlyle is empty." will explained to the curious group.
   "the gerschenson's?" kat questioned him.
   "fuck if i know. it's mine now. oh plus, got some new kicks." will rested his foot on the table. He hesitated at first, not knowing the reaction the group would give him for putting his feet up on the table. kat glared at the boy.
   "we eat there." she growled at him. the bottom of his shoe was red, and had white writing on them, spelling out 'SIS.'
   "you can't do that." cassandra said in her usual bitchy tone.
   "why not? my old heel's coming loose." will looked back at his shoe with a slight pout.
   "you can't move into someone else's house. do you want to prove harry's point, that we can just start taking things from each other?" cassandra explained to him. kat scratched the back of her neck.
   "the place is empty, it's nobody's house-"
   "will," allie interrupted him.
   "what? easy for you to say, you're not fucking homeless." the male gave the younger blonde a look.
   "you're not homeless. this place is yours as much as it is ours." allie reassured him.
   "that's kind, with... without really being true." cassandra hummed in response.
   "will," she started.
   "what?" he asked her before she could finish. "okay, i'll think about it. keeping the shoes though." he leaned forward to rest his forearms on the table. kat quietly sighed, hoping he'd fight back against her for once. if the place was empty then he had every right to take the damn house. the brunette was deep in thought before being interrupted by sam who gently tapped her shoulder, giving her a concerted look. she focused her attention to him then nodded with soft eyes, assuring him she was fine. he gave her a smile in return.
   "okay, so we have all agreed. we need to check out the water and the power plants." cassandra declared.
"and figure out how much food we have? like a food census." gordie added.
"i can do that, yeah." will chimed in and raised a finger.
"me too." allie offered to help as kat glanced back and forth between the two as she smirked. she totally likes him. "together." allie added to her previous words as she walked off.
    "what about you?" cassandra questioned the brunette, her voice poisonous as she looked at kat.
   "what?" she questioned the blonde, confused if she was talking to her. cassandra nodded, noticing her confusion.
   "yes, you. why are you here? what are you gonna do? we all have to help out." cassandra put her hands down on the counter.
   "i'm here for the same reason you are. i mean, i'll do whatever that needs to be done." kat pressed her lips into a thin line, glancing away from the cold state of the blonde in front of her.
"maybe we should be more lowkey. some people could freak out."  becca interrupted, continuing their previous conversation.
"no, no. there's no reason to freak out, we're just doing inventory." cassandra paused. "no, no. i'm the problem. i get their backs up. just went too fast when we first got here." she looked at her hands as she spoke.
"no you didn't." allie almost yelled at her as she came back.
"yes i did. i obviously did. okay, this can't look like it has anything to do with me. i need to lay low for a while." cassandra finished as she walked away with her coffee. kat watched her leave, letting out a sigh. cassandra wasn't wrong. she went way too fast.