Six

"A great man is hard on himself, a small man is hard on others."

The sun rose halfway into the sky before Kai awoke from his rest. His back ached a little from the previous night with the emperor, but he was oddly getting used to the demands. He could at least rise from the bed to grab food and water for himself now.

Which was why he was surprised to see that there were four servants waiting in the outer room. He was glad the emperor had cleaned him and permitted him a soft white robe to wear when he was away. Though none of the servants looked at him, nor spoke to him, he could feel the curiosity as he came in the room.

He stumbled over to the table and grabbed some fresh cut fruits, sighing as it both quenched his thirst and stilled the rolling of his hungry stomach. His gaze did not lift away from the fresh pastries, bowls of succulent strawberries, and trays of sliced meats until another person entered the room.

"I am His Imperial Majesty's Chief Eunuch. His Imperial Majesty requests you dress and join Him." The older eunuch bowed to Kai respectfully. The boy snorted and rose from his seat after he finished his cup of water. Requests, I'm sure.

"As his majesty wills." He stood in front of the man, waiting for direction. The older eunuch snapped his fingers and the four servants hopped into action. They guided him back to the bedroom. One servant opened a secret door that was placed against one wall, revealing a room behind it filled with robes.

Set upon an ornamental rack was a fantastic set of white robes. The servants removed his thin sleeping robe. They proceeded to layer underskirts onto his hips and under robes onto his shoulders, ever so subtly avoiding touching his bare skin.

He held still and allowed the ties to be drawn shut, the edges to be carefully folded, and then the outer skirts and robes to be draped over them. The material was soft and floated about his arms and feet. An elaborate belt was pulled around them and fastened in behind.

Yet another Layer was added, so sheer and beautifully embroidered that it was like it was made by angels. It glittered and fluttered in the faint breeze of those walking around him to be sure it was all perfect.

He was sat upon a stool and his hair was combed carefully and lightly oiled to a lustrous shine. It was pulled up and arranged into a neat topknot on his head, then capped with a pure white jade and gold Guan. Kai did not even get more than a glimpse of it before the heavy piece was settled on his head.

One of the servants came forward with powders, paints and a brush, but Kai raised his hand and gently shook his head no. The servant exchanged a glance with the older eunuch, but he waved her off. Lastly, two of the servants pulled a huge veil over his head and settled it about him.

It draped over his shoulders and only the ends of his sleeves could be seen from under the front. Small gold weights kept it in place so a strong breeze might not lift it. Now that he tried to rise from his seat, he sighed with the weight of the ornamental outfit.

"He really is too much." Kai murmured as he glimpsed the shadow of his ghostly figure that glittered in the mirror. With the gracefulness of an Immortal, he turned to the door and walked back to the outer room. He took one more sip of water off the table, steadying his nerves.

"His Imperial Majesty is waiting." The older eunuch bowed and gestured at the door that led outside. Kai had not been through those doors since he first arrived almost a month ago.

"Yes, of course." He turned away from the private rooms and blinked in the gleaming light from the sun as he followed behind the older eunuch. Their steps were unhurried as they crossed the palace grounds, eyes following them as they went.

As he entered the large courtyard behind the Chief Eunuch, his eyes widened beneath the heavy veil. The ministers were all lined up along one side in rows, the most important and affluent in the front. The eunuch stopped and bowed deeply to them as he passed.

Kai paused and turned his head slightly to look at those haughty and expectant faces. He remembered the emperor's words and his own promise. I will bow to no man save the emperor himself. His chin lifted subtly and his eyes looked for the imposing figure of his master.

"How dare you!" The left minister grumbled.

"Does she have no respect for her betters?" The minister of public affairs growled.

"Tsk. Uncultured. You must bow to us, girl." The minister of trades pointed at Kai threateningly.

He ignored them all without even a second glance as he spotted the throne set up under the raised pavilion. He walked forward, not sparing a look at the assembled family members coming in from the outer palace walkway.

Standing in front of the throne with the emperor looking down at him, he finally raised his hands and cupped them gracefully. He bowed low and carefully, with utmost respect. "Greetings to His Imperial Majesty, may He live a hundred thousand years, a hundred thousand years, a hundred thousand of hundred thousand years."

"Greetings, Favoured One. Rise and come sit up here with Us." The emperor replied with an amused look in his eyes as his face remained stoic.

"Thank you, Your Imperial Majesty." Kai raised back up and cautiously made his way up the few steps to the throne with his skirts held up only so far as he could lift his slippered foot. When he reached the top, the emperor gestured to the space next to him.

The Chief Eunuch was obviously not expecting this, and scrambled to send two servants to produce a suitable seat and place it next to the emperor's throne. Kai waited patiently, watching as the men and women were gathered, spying out of the corner of his eye as the ministers argued amongst themselves.

Eunuch- man who has been castrated or purified
Guan- head dress or cap, usually denoting station...

1051