Eight

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand."

He could hardly hear the cries of joy from the rest of his family as they hugged in relief and bowed in grateful thanks to his majesty. Instead his whole being became entranced by those sharp eyes that watched him.

"Bow to Us... three times." The Emperor demanded of him. Kai gulped and did as he was asked, bowing his head low enough to touch the ground before raising again. The rest of the audience quieted after the second bow. The ministers began muttering after the third.

The Emperor snapped his fingers and the Chief Eunuch came forward with a tray, on which sat a single cup of tea. The Emperor raised the cup to his lips and took a sip. Instead of putting it back on the tray at his side, he turned it and held it out to Kai.

"Drink with Us." He demanded. Kai was confused. He reached out and took the cup carefully, brought it under the veil, and took a drink from it. There was only enough for a mouthful, and the tea tasted as it was the finest he had ever had.

He passed the cup back out to the Emperor, who put it on the tray. Then the Emperor reached out and carefully lifted the pale veil from his face. The Emperor got up and pushed it over his head, to fall in a heap at his back.

"Go and greet your grandfather. Let him know you are alive and well." The Emperor bends down and kisses Kai gently, while the others all gasp.

"Thank you Your Imperial Majesty." Kai accepts the hand to help him up from his kneeling position and blushes when the Emperor smiles at him before returning to his seat. He goes back down the stairs and faces the incredulous look of his grandfather.

"What in the heavens are you doing here Kai? We thought the worst!" His grandfather blustered. His father and mother came forward to fuss over him too, scolding him for disappearing.

"Grandfather. Father. Mother. Kai is so very sorry for worrying you. As you can see, your son is fine. The emperor has been very good to this stupid boy." Kai was tempted to bow for forgiveness, but stopped himself as he recalled his promise.

"Oi, you naughty boy. Should you not at least show some respect to your elders who worried about you?" His uncle cried out.

"What were you doing leaving us for a whole month? Where have you been?" His mother asked with a glare.

"Why are you with the emperor? Have you been causing him trouble?" His father shook his finger at him.

"Why do you assume that I have been the naughty one? Maybe He is the one who has been causing me trouble." Kai grumbled as the elders all ganged up on him. He huffed a sigh and pouted.

"Very unlikely. His Imperial Majesty is a most dutiful and dignified person. Not like a young brat like you who won't even bow to your elders." His uncle growled at him.

"Stop. Give Kai a chance to speak." His grandfather was looking at him with a complicated gaze. His eyes took in the fine robes, the fancy guan and recalled the emperor's actions.

"Forgive me, Grandfather. His Imperial Majesty forbids me to bow to anyone on this earth but Himself. I must only use words to assure you of my respect and contrition. I have been in His Imperial Majesty's care from the time I left." Kai told him with pleading eyes and a respectful tone.

"You have been with the Emperor this whole time? I have not heard anyone speak of..." His father stopped dead in the middle of his speech. His father's eyes widened and his face paled.

"Oh my dear boy. What have you done for this family?" His mother murmured as she realised what was going on.

"I have done what any good and loyal son would. I have begged the lives of my innocent family of the emperor. We must be grateful that he has honoured us with the family name Xuē and allowed us to live." Kai said unfalteringly. His grandfather nodded decisively.

"You are a good child. This family is forever in your debt." His grandfather then bowed down to Kai, making him blush.

"Ah, Grandfather, you do not need to bow to me." Kai protested. He felt a presence come up next to him and the whole of the family bowed low as well.

"We are afraid that your grandfather and the rest of your family will need to bow to you from now on Kai." The Emperor spoke to him with the glint of mischievous laughter as he took one of his hands in his. He stroked the skin almost reverently, and that made Kai want to squirm.

"Hmm? Why is that?" Kai asked him obliviously, he was too distracted by the emperor's hand tracing on his to notice that he forgot to address him properly in front of his family.

"Did you not notice? We have married you with the consent of your grandfather in front of court witnesses. You do not just belong to Us... You are Our Esteemed Imperial Consort. Our Favourite and Most Beloved Wife. The only one to be granted permission to stay in Our Sanctuary."

"You... you have? I am? I don't understand." Kai murmured as the enigmatic and charismatic man enthralled his senses to the point of idiocy. The Emperor leaned down and brushed his lips gently.

"Ah my dear sweet innocent Kai... Let Us make it clear to you then." The man leaned forward and his lips brushed against the pale shell of his ear. "I love you. You have enchanted me and my heart is now yours."

Kai gasped at the words and his eyes flew up to find the Emperor's. Those eyes were still alight with humour, tinged with dark lust, and now he saw the possessive sweetness that mingled in with it all. This man loved him?

"How stirring your words are. I already promised you my body and soul, so you may as well have my heart along with them. After all, I cannot even think when you are near me. There is nothing in my mind but you when you are not." Kai smiled sheepishly at him.

His cheeks were pinked lightly giving him a cute and innocent look. It took much control to keep the Emperor from ravishing him in front of his family and the court. Instead he wrapped a possessive arm around the boy and faced his new in-laws.

"We will take good care of Kai from now on, Old Xuē. We must be very careful that our Imperial Consort is not exposed to any more... perverts." He glanced at the boy, who's face went so red at the words that he thought smoke might come out his ears.

The Emperor laughed again as Kai's grandfather stared at the boy as though asking him if he had called his majesty a pervert. Kai's mournful expression seemed to confirm his fears, and the three elders looked mortified.

"This humble servant thanks His Imperial Majesty for His great benevolence." Old Xuē bowed to the Emperor.

Chinese wedding traditions vary, these are a few: wearing a phoenix guan; bowing 3 times-once to the heavens, once to your parents, once to each other; ceremonial drinking of tea; the unveiling of the bride by the new husband...

1223