Chaos Is a Ladder

A haze seemed to be settled over the room, blanketing the cantina as much as the cacophony of conversation humming all at once. There wasn't much room to move around without bumping into anyone during the rush hour, but her agility and some experience weaving through these crowds helped her navigate the space. If no one interfered, she could easily and quickly make it to each table to deliver drinks and the occasional plate of food—though really if you were in a cantina, you were there to drink or find a shady job.

Zelina held the platter of drinks high above her head, sidestepping the Dug jumping around in anger as he lost another round of Sabacc and curving her body away from the waving hand of a disgruntled Trandoshan. After successfully making it to the crowded table in the corner that her platter of drinks was meant for, Zelina set each drink down in front of the customer it belonged to. She was quick to turn back around since there were plenty of other drinks she had to disperse through the cantina, already mapping out her best route in her mind as she took a step in the right direction.

A rough hand finding itself where it should not have been had Zelina quickly whipping around to catch the offender, who had the audacity to grab at her shirt as she turned. The fabric ripped in the back, and Zelina stepped closer on instinct to keep it from shredding into nothing.

"C'mon, sweetie, stay a while, keep us company!" the Corellian man offered, trying to pull her closer.

Now that she was reoriented and knew who had grabbed her, Zelina grabbed his wrist and twisted, pulling a vibroblade with the other hand and pressing it under his chin. The man froze, trying to look down at the blade just barely being restrained from cutting into him.

"You ever try to touch me again, I'll cut off your hand and shove it down your throat. Got it?" she growled.

The man nodded and she shoved him back, putting the vibroblade back where it had been hidden by her waist. Her shirt was ripped open in the back, and as she quickly retreated from the table, she felt the damage, trying to see if it was salvageable. She could feel eyes on her, especially on the old whipping scars, and found herself struggling to clamp down on the emotions that tried to well to the front of her mind.

Great. As if she didn't struggle enough with the creeps at the cantina without it being known she used to be a slave. Now it was going to spread like wildfire, and the harassment would probably increase tenfold. It would help if the owner, Reggin, had some semblance of control over this place, but he didn't. There could be a murder, an assault, or even an exchange for a slave right in front of him and the man wouldn't do anything—she'd even seen some of those happen in the cantina. It was more lawless in the cantina than it was in the streets at night.

Force forbid she ever need to have Luke with her at work. So far she'd been lucky, and the Lars' had always been able to take care of him while she worked. They might have gone out of their way to make sure they could because of where she worked, though. One day she wouldn't be so fortunate, and she'd have to keep him on her, though.

That was not a day she was looking forward to. Something had to be done if she was going to have to tote Luke around with her while she worked. Right now, the thought made her sick.

"Zel! What the hell are you doing? Hurry up and get these drinks out!" Reggin called from the counter when he spotted Zelina headed in the other direction. She worked hard to keep a scowl from crossing her face.

"One moment, sir, I just have to make sure I stay clothed."

"Why bother? You might make more tips topless," Reggin suggested with a smirk.

Zelina had to swallow the bile that bubbled up at the comment, saying nothing as she continued towards the refresher in the back of the cantina.

Slobbering Gundark...