Chapter 11: Trust

"Only trust someone who sees these three things in you: the sorrow behind your smile, the love behind your anger, and the reason behind your silence."

-----------

Leaning against the window frame, Skye listened to the gentle tap of rain against the window. It was beautiful and comforting, watching the rain pelting down and running down the glass. It brought her a sense of peace, to see something she could depend on. The rain would always make her feel the same, whether it was a drizzle or a storm. She closed her eyes and touched her cheek to the window, enjoying the coolness.

"Hey, I brought some coffee," Flynn said. She turned to see him holding up two mugs.

She gave a smile and took one from him, taking a seat on the sofa. She had come over to Flynn's house to hang out with him. They had all the time in the world now since they were done with high school. Jane had gone away to visit her grandparents, so she had been hanging out with Flynn a lot. It's either they go for a movie or a coffee. It helped her feel better and Flynn had the skill to somehow lift her spirits up whenever she felt down.

"This is so boring. We should be doing something fun, exciting." Flynn said in annoyance. He was sprawled on the sofa next to Skye. 

"You're the fun guy. And you're the one who's been bringing this up each and every day. Why don't you think of something and plan it?" Skye suggested.

"I wish, but everyone has their own plans. It's just us who have nothing to do over this break before college." Flynn huffed out.

Skye was about to reply when Kyan opened the door and entered Flynn's house.

"Hey man, welcome to my humble abode," Flynn threw a glance at him and said in a bored voice.

"Damn, you've been so lifeless since we graduated, you've turned boring. Skye, don't you get depressed hanging out with this guy?" Kyan said, suppressing a smile while he ran a hand through his wet hair.

"I know, right? It's like he's sucking out all of my happiness. I'm only hanging out with him because there are no better options," Skye said with a convincing sigh.

"Hey! That hurts! I thought you actually wanted to hang out with me. I don't want anybody's pity. You may both leave. I will see you some time in the future when I'm ready." Flynn huffed and turned around.

"And just like that, the drama queen in him emerges in all her glory," Kyan said. "I'm actually here to see your mom. My mom asked me to get something from her. Where is she?"

"She's out with my dad, I don't know when they'll be back."

"Okay, I guess I'll just come back later then. By the way, there's something I've been thinking about. Since you're crying all the time about having no plans, I was thinking about going on a road trip. How do you think that sounds?" He moved forward and leaned against the wall.

Flynn shot up with enthusiasm. "A road trip? When? Where? Who's going?"

"Woah, woah, calm down. I don't have it all figured out, it's just a thought. And I was thinking since the three of us are the only ones who don't have any plans, we could do that." He turned to Skye with a questioning glance.

"That is amazing. Let's start planning. So where will we go?" Flynn rubbed his hands together.

"We'll talk about this later. I can't stay right now. I'm running some errands for mom. I'll call you when I'm free. Bye, Skye."

Flynn turned to Skye when Kyan left. "You'll go, right?"

"I don't know, I don't think I can go. I mean I'd love to, I've never done something like this before, but I'm sure my parents would never agree to this."

"You can talk to them? You never know, they might just agree."

"No, you don't know them, they're just... You won't understand," Skye said dejectedly.

Flynn watched her carefully, trying to read the emotions on her face. Her eyes shifted to the side in an attempt to hide her feelings.

"Hey, look at me. You don't have to hide from me. I'm your friend and I know I've said this a lot but I'm here for you, Skye." Flynn moved over to her and took her hands in his.

"They are so different from your parents. I think they're different from pretty much all the other parents I know. We've never been close and I've never been able to talk to them properly. I just never figured out how to connect with them. It's always either them lecturing me about something or just casually asking me about my studies. That sums up my relationship with them," Skye stated, looking at him. "You know, before my brother died, things were better between us. We were a pretty normal family. I mean I've never been close with them but with him around it wasn't that obvious, and he always found a way to close that gap between us. After his death, I guess they wanted me to take the place of the golden child which had always been Jasper. They pushed me to the brink to make me get good results and take part in stuff that I didn't want to. And they've never once asked me how I felt about any of it. It's like what I want is too insignificant for them to spare any thought to. It's just been so hard, meeting every one of their demands and keeping my head above the water at the same time. How can I talk to them about this? How can I talk to them about my happiness and what I want?" She looked at Flynn with such helplessness that he forgot what he wanted to say.

"I'm so sorry Skye. I didn't know you lost your brother." Flynn said softly after a beat, wrapping an arm around her.

"It's okay, I don't like talking about it. Its still painful talking about him, " she mumbled, leaning against Flynn and trying to hold back her tears. "I just know they won't agree to me going on a road trip any time soon. They'd probably want me to join a summer camp or take some classes or something like that. Believe me, there's nothing I want more than to do something fun and spontaneous like this. God knows I never have before. But I just can't think of a way to get them to agree without getting into an argument."

"Skye, you can't keep letting them run your life. You're basically an adult now, and you deserve the freedom to make your own choices. No one, not even your parents get to take that away from you. If this is what you want, you should fight for it. We're not gonna be young forever and life isn't just about getting good grades and becoming successful. I think it's just as important to make good memories and I know doing something like this will help you feel better. You deserve it. So please, just try and talk to them. Stand up for yourself. For my sake," Flynn whispered softly.

Skye didn't have an answer and sat next to Flynn in complete silence, thinking about it. She wanted to talk to her parents but she had no courage at all and she knew they wouldn't even think twice before disagreeing to whatever she wanted to do to enjoy herself.

"Well, I should get going. It was fun hanging out with you." Skye said after a while, getting up and picking up her stuff to leave. "Thanks for listening to my rant. I'll think about what you said."

Flynn followed her to the front door and opened it for her. "It's no problem. I owe it to you, specially after you listened to my sad tale that time," he said with a grin. "And goodluck with your parents."

Skye smiled gratefully and stepped outside. It was still drizzling and she waved at Flynn before hurrying over to her car.

After getting in her cozy car, she started the engine and rushed off, thinking about how easy it had been for her to trust Flynn enough to tell him about her issues with her parents. She had never been the type to voluntarily share problems about her personal life with anyone. Something about him just made it easy for her to open up. Giving herself a shake, she started thinking about what he had asked her to do and at the same time wondered if it was possible that she had it in herself to go against her parents.

-----

A/N

Hey guys! I'm so sorry for disappearing on all of you. I've got a lot on my plate right now so it's been difficult to do so many things, that includes writing. I will try my best to quickly update. So Happy reading!

Love,
Ansh