Part 1: Chapter 2

Copyright © 2012 Nicole Mckoy

Monica was nervous the whole way to KJ’s childcare center. She wanted to know what was wrong with him. He hadn’t seemed sick before she dropped him off. So what had happened? The driver pulled up to the childcare center and parked. “Do you want me to come inside with you,” Kevin asked? Monica didn’t want questions asked later about the man who came to pick up KJ with her so she just told him to wait it the car. It was bad enough that Kevin was going to meet his son the way he was about to.

Kevin waited outside the car for Monica. She had rushed into the childcare center and Kevin wondered what was going on. She hadn’t had a wedding band on so he knew she couldn’t have a kid in there. At least that’s what he thought until Monica emerged from the childcare building with a young boy in her arms. She has a kid? Kevin didn’t know what to think.

Monica got back into the escalade, as did Kevin. She sat KJ in her lap and told the driver to go to KJ’s pediatrician. “Ear Ear Ear,” KJ whined. Monica rocked him back and forth in her arms. “Shh sweetheart its ok mommy’s going to take you to the doctor,” Monica cooed. Kevin snapped his head to really see this mother son scene. He still couldn’t believe Monica had a kid.

Kevin looked at KJ in Monica’s arms. He was of a mixed complexion with curly light brown hair and his eyes were hazel. “Mommy,” KJ said hiding his head against Monica’s shoulder. Monica looked at Kevin and knew why her son was scared. “Its ok sweetie,” Monica said. KJ lifted his head slightly and looked at Kevin. “Mommy he look at me,” KJ said. Kevin couldn’t help but grin the little boy was so cute. “Hey buddy my names Kevin. I’m your mommy’s old friend,” Kevin said. The little boy put his thumb in his mouth and looked at his mommy as if to confirm Kevin’s story as truth. “KJ this is mommy’s old friend say hi,” Monica said. She wished the traffic would let up so she could get out of the situation she was in. “Hi my name is KJ, I two,” KJ said holding up two fingers. Kevin smiled at the little boy. “So I guess you’re married,” Kevin said fishing for information. Monica so didn’t want to have this conversation in front of her son. “No I’m not married,” Monica said. Kevin thought to himself what kind of man doesn’t marry the mother of his child. “Are you with his father,” Kevin asked? Kevin didn’t think he was being too intrusive seeing that he’d known Monica his whole life. “No I’m not,” Monica answered. Kevin felt even worst for Monica. What guy made her a single mother he thought to himself? “My daddy didn’t want me,” KJ said with his thumb still in his mouth. Monica’s eyes went wide. “What have we talked about KJ? Your daddy loves you he’s just got a separate life from us,” Monica explained. KJ hid his face in Monica’s shoulder once again. 

The traffic was still heavy and they were barely moving.  KJ had fallen asleep lying across Monica and Kevin’s laps. “What happen with his dad? I’m sure that stuff you tell him isn’t true. Was he right about his dad not wanting him,” Kevin asked? Monica knew KJ couldn’t hear them because he was out like a light. “Kevin his father doesn’t know about him,” Monica admitted. She had to test the waters with Kevin before just blurting out that KJ was his.

“Why didn’t you ever tell the father,” Kevin asked? 

“Because it was a one time thing between his father and I,” Monica answered. 

“Still the guy knocked you up he should’ve known so he could step up and be a man.” 

“The guy was with someone else.” 

“What do you mean? Did he cheat on is girlfriend with you or something.” 

“No exactly. We both were in-between people when we got together.” 

“When did it happen?” 

“Back in college.” 

“Is Richard his father!”