Epilogue

[written in present tense unlike the rest of the book]

-

Eva stares at the cream coloured business card in her hands, with the familiar rose borders.

Millie's Family Bakery it reads in an elegant script.

She stares at it for a few seconds, still unable to believe that she's standing here, and then composes herself – before walking out the packaging room in the back and towards the customer waiting by the counter.

"Here you go," Eva smiles at the young woman. "You can place your orders if you contact the hotline on the card. We can either deliver it to you – or you can come collect it on your way home."

The woman glances down at the card, and Eva takes that moment to blink away the sudden moisture in her eyes. It's been two whole years and she can't believe there was a time when she was given an identical card for a job opportunity – and here she is now, giving out those same cards to customers.

"Thank you," the customer shoots Eva a smile. "I'm sorry I had to bring you out from the back – especially when I know you must be so busy baking one item after another." The woman's smile turns apologetic. "But when I asked the cashier for the person responsible for making the best cottage pie I've tasted my entire life – well, I had to insist on appreciating your work in person."

Eva's cheeks grow warm and she averts her eyes, still not used to being told people actually like what she does. That people actually like her. This is all probably going to be ripped away from her one day – it's too good to last.

She's thirty now – and while the last two years have been filled with therapist appointments, healing, and progress, she still has an incredibly long way to go. Because as much as she wishes for it, two years don't quite make up for twenty-eight ones of trauma and suffering.

"So you guys cater, right?" The woman inquires as she tucks the card into her purse. "Like, if I wanted to contact this bakery for my parents' coming anniversary – you'll do it?"

"Sure," Eva nods, "we cater to all kinds of events. Just notify us two weeks prior to the date of the event."

The customer nods, and backs away from the counter. "Thank you."

"Anytime," Eva murmurs, watching the woman walk out the bakery. And thank you, she says in her head to Millie Morgan, without whom Eva might not be standing here today.

"Interacting with the customers again?" Millie's familiar voice reaches Eva's ears just as she steps into the oven room.

Eva smiles guiltily and heads toward the familiar woman, to someone who's become a friend and moral support over the months. "I can't help it when they ask for me," she admits with a laugh.