Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

Brittany Dawson

"It's a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll," Michael sang out loudly.

I roll my eyes, twisting my hair around a curling wand. I'd be going to dinner with Harry in less than an hour. I had a bit of a late start because Michael was getting handsy.

Now, I was curling my hair while he showered. He was going out to a club with the guys tonight, while I went with Harry. All innocent.

"Babe, can you bring me my body wash?" Michael yells.

I set my wand down, then go through Michael's body for the bottle of Axe body wash he always uses. As I'm searching through the bag, I come across something unfamiliar to me - a red Blackberry.

I ignore my nosey thoughts and set the phone back in the bottom on the bag. Before I could zip it up, though, it vibrated. Letting my curiosity get the best of me, I picked the phone back up.

From: Cabello

Hey, which club are we meeting at?

I don't jump to any conclusions, mostly because Cabello could be anyone. But there was that tiny spot in the back of my mind that associated the last name that of a Fifth Harmony member. I couldn't shake the feeling.

And why would Michael need a separate phone number to text her? Why wouldn't he just use his iPhone?

"Babe?" Michael calls out.

I toss the phone back in the bag, zipping it up. It's probably nothing, I told myself.

//////

"You look lovely," Harry greets, pressing his lips to my cheek.

"Thank you." I smile. "As do you."

"All set then?" he asks.

"I actually need to grab some my wallet and some money," I say.

"You don't really think I'm going to let you pay for your own meal, now do you?"

My cheeks flame red. "I figured I would."

"No worries, love. I've got you," Harry assures.

Feeling no need to protest, I step out the door. I wasn't one to turn down someone paying for me on a sixty dollar meal. If Harry wants to pay, I'll allow him to. Chivalry isn't dead and I didn't dare complain.

//////

"This smells delicious. Thank you," I say to the young waitress.

"You're welcome. Enjoy your meal."

"Have you ever been here?" Harry asks.

"Never," I answer. "I remember Calum took his girlfriend here before she flew back home, though."

"It's a lovely resaurant."

"Most certainly."

I cut into my steak, trying to be as cultivated as possible. I grew up in the country; in a household where we sat around the TV eating dinner with mismatched forks. We weren't a very put together family. We never bought steak simply because it cost too much. My mother never drank wine as I am now. We had sweet tea and pork chops for dinner.

I knew I'd never change into this pristine celebrity. I couldn't ever see myself attending galas or fancy restaurants like so a year ago, but here I am. I always kept my true self in my heart. I could never be someone I'm not, but if these types of things were part of my rise to fame, then so be it. I'll never change, though.