Chapter Two

When I reach the town's main street, the warm air is filled with the sound of chattering students getting ready for a night out, the faint pulse of bar music, and the greasy smell of Diablos' chili hot dogs.

Trinity Falls doesn't have much to offer in the way of entertainment—except for a smattering of bars, it's mostly family-run stores, an old church, and a couple of bookshops specializing in textbooks for the students. With LA a mere half hour away, it's as if whoever built this town got bored halfway through the job and went to party there instead.

Just up ahead, dim lights from Evie's Garden Bar spill onto the sidewalk. A black cat darts across my path. Like before, I refuse to think something this cute is a bad omen.

"Hey, buddy," I say, bending down to stroke him.

He hisses at me before hurrying across the road and slipping into the crowd that's already started to build outside Apocalypse. The neon-blue sign flickers above the club's otherwise subtle entrance. The "C" of "APOCALYPSE" is a horseshoe.

"Suit yourself," I mutter as a tapping sound comes from my left. Evie's front is entirely made of glass, giving it the look of a fancy greenhouse. Josie and Lucas sit at one of the high tables in front, rapping on the window at me and pulling faces.

The corner of my lip twitches as I head to join them, but a sharp caw causes me to look up at the entrance. That same crow watches me from atop the white Evie's Garden Bar sign.

The same crow? Crows all look the same, Rach.

It caws again, its beady eyes meeting mine.

"What are you looking at?" I say.

It caws again.

"Jerk."

This time, it just tilts it head.

Inside, the bar is a bubble of noise. The space is small and mostly lit by flickering candles and fairy lights that wind through the gray trellises against the walls. Potted apple trees are dotted across the black-and-white checkered floor, and the air smells like perfume and lime wedges.

I push through a group of sorority girls to get to Josie and Lucas.

"Finally!" says Josie, removing her purse from the white barstool beside her. "It's packed tonight! I've battled the legions of hell to keep this seat free for you!"

A tall blonde in a blue dress shoots us a dirty look. When Lucas throws an evil look right back, she scowls and returns to her conversation.

"She's tried to take your seat three times already," he says.

"We're guy-watching," says Josie.

"Are you two ever not guy-watching?" I ask, sliding onto the stool. From their outfits, I can see they're expecting a big night; Josie's wearing the black dress that emphasizes her curves, and Lucas's white shirt is unbuttoned at the collar, with hipster suspenders cutting over his slender shoulders.

"Hmm . . . guilty," says Lucas. "Though you could do with a bit of guy-watching, Rach, since the crazy cat lady vibe isn't working for you anymore." He slides his gaze to the street outside. "Even cats are crapping themselves at your presence."

"Funny," I say, pulling out my cell. "Right now, I need to send off this application."

"How have you not done that yet, babe?" asks Josie, the silver crucifix around her neck glinting as she leans forward.

"Don't start. I've already had all that from my parents." I mimic my mother's high-pitched voice. "It's almost like you don't want to be a lawyer, Rachel. Such potential. Such disappointment. Why can't you be more like Jonathon? "