Chapter Four

Is this guy high? Am I high? Maybe I shouldn't have had that fourth appletini. Or—no, my money is still on this being an elaborate prank. All of Josie's bad omen talk was just the setup. So was the black cat, the crow, and the ladder.

"I'm not sure which part of that crazy to dissect first," I say. "So let's start with the angel thing. . . You think you're the Angel Gabriel?"

"Why do people always say that?" he snaps. "As if the Angel Gabriel would be sent to visit someone as insignificant as you."

"So they sent someone unimportant?" I ask.

His pale cheeks pinken. "I wasn't sent," he says after a long moment of looking at the blinds. "I shouldn't be here."

"Why are you here then?"

"I told you that. Because you signed away your soul to the Devil." He shakes his head. "You really should read the terms and conditions."

That's what that Crow guy said too. Whatever this is about, they're definitely in on it together.

"What are you talking about?" I say.

"The free Wi-Fi at Evie's," he replies, frustrated. "You didn't read the terms and conditions. Devils Inc. must have hacked it and added in a clause. Either that or they've struck up a deal with Eve. It wouldn't be the first time she's entered into a legal agreement with a third party."

I arch an eyebrow. "Are you telling me I just exchanged my immortal undying soul for free Wi-Fi?"

"Yes!" he says as if I'm finally getting it.

I laugh. "And Lucifer, King of Hell, sent you, the Angel Gabriel, to tell me about this?"

"I told you, I'm not the Angel Ga—" He stops himself, jaw clenching. "No, that's not important. What is important is that Devils Inc. will be in contact shortly. Likely in the next twenty-four hours. So I am here of my own accord to offer you another deal. I think Devils Inc. are up to something, and I want someone on the inside to be my eyes and ears. It will be dangerous, but you will meet with me in secret and relay information, and in exchange, I will put together a legal case to save your soul."

I get up and walk toward him. This time, he lets me usher him to the door.

"Okay, buddy. Thanks for the info. I'll let you know about the 'saving my soul' thing."

In the doorway, he stares at me as if he's trying to determine whether I'm taking him seriously. After a few seconds, he nods, satisfied.

"Good. Here." He hands me a small white card.

"How did you get into my room anyway?" I ask.

"The window," he replies simply.

I don't have time to mention my room is on the sixth floor because he's already striding down the hallway.

"What a strange guy," I mutter, peering into the keyhole to see if it's been tampered with, then rattling the handle a couple of times. Afterward, I put my desk chair against it just to be safe.

Then I look at the white card between my fingers. "HALO CORP.," it says in gold lettering. The same oval-shaped emblem on Gabriel's jacket hovers above the "H." "For all your Angelic needs," it says, followed by Gabriel's name and contact number.

I stare at it incredulously before slipping it into my pocket.

I'm going to bed.

Angels, Omens, and a deal with the Devil . . .

At least it's more interesting than my business law class will be tomorrow.

But this has to be some big prank. Right?