𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

molly's college letter came sooner than expected on a sunny thursday afternoon. her mother was frantic trying to call her home.

"molly! i've got your letter!" she said from over the phone as she was at lunch with her friend, velma.

velma has already been accepted into the same college earlier that day, so they were out celebrating. "okay, i'll be home soon!"

she muffled her excitement in real life, but inside, she was jumping up and down with glee. in some deep part of her, she almost hoped she wasn't accepted so she didn't have to leave the boys.

"i hope you get accepted!" velma said.

velma was her friend from the license branch. they met when their license photos got switched because they looked alike. admittedly, they did look alike quite a bit, but velma thought molly was prettier.

"yeah, me too," molly lied.

she fumbled with her purse as she walked away from the phone on the wall. a waitress called her over when her mother asked for her. at first, she was very, very nervous about what the phone call would be about. she was always afraid of there being an underlying meaning because of the crime movies she'd seen.

"we'd better get home..." velma checked the clock, and it was already almost three.

"could you come over so you can open the letter for me? i'm too nervous!" she sighed, opening the door to the restaurant.

"are you sure? shouldn't you open it yourself since it's yours?" velma asked.

molly shook her head, saying, "i'd rather you do it, vel."

"if you really want me to, i guess i can." they reached velma's beat up car, getting in and belting up. the moment they reached molly's house, they both began to panic. this meant the difference between molly going to college or not.

molly unbuckled her seatbelt and opened the door, stepping out into the pouring rain. velma shut the car off and followed. "oh, you're home!" her mother said as she held the letter. "i didn't open it yet... i figured you might want to open it yourself,"

"no, velma's doing that for me," molly snatched the letter from her mothers' hands and shoved it into velma's. "okay, just... just do it."

velma anxiously took a deep breath before quickly opening the letter, not even caring if she ripped it, which she almost did. putting her hands over her eyes, molly sighed quietly and waited for the incoming answer as to if she would move or not.

"alright, i'm... opening the letter... dear molly, we are delighted to inform you—!"

by then, it was clear that she'd been accepted. molly began excitedly jumping up and down with velma and her mother. velma and molly started half-yelling-half-screaming about her getting in.

she was so happy to know that she'd been accepted, but there were sad undertones to the situation. mainly because she knew she'd have to leave her best friends behind in order to further pursue her dreams.

over the summer, molly decided what she wanted to do with her life when she came to a realization as to what she was truly good at.

she decided she'd follow though with her dream to be a doctor. a real one, too.

it would be bad enough to tell george and paul, but who she'd miss the most would be john. obviously because she always had a crush on him, but also because they had some really fun times.