Chapter One

"The warmth from the sun caressed Davina's tan skin as she climbed out of her car. Scents of wood and grass danced with the light breeze as birds sang along. The different species of birds sat on the branches of the trees that surrounded the multiple cabins, beaming down at anything that walked underneath their homes.

     Tucking her chestnut locks behind her ears, Davina closed her eyes and let herself enjoy Mother Nature's creations for a moment. Chirping birds brought her back to reality, advising her to start moving along. She shoved her phone and wallet into the back pockets of her high waisted, white shorts before wrapping the lanyard that held her keys around her neck.

     There were thirty minutes left until counselor registration of Camp Roslyn closed. Although Davina believed she was going to be one of the first people who arrived, she realized she was one of the lasts when she noticed the parking lot was almost full. Time management had always been her strong suit but the beginning of summer traffic stretched her schedule.

     She sighed as she collected her, well her father's, gym bag and backpack. When she started packing days earlier, she didn't know how much to bring. Either she crammed as many things as she could or she didn't gather enough. Thankfully, she had her parent's assistance when they tried to convince her to not go. It wasn't that they didn't want their daughter to have a job, they just weren't comfortable with Davina staying on the complete opposite side of the state for two months.

     Once she had everything, Davina gazed ahead at the Camp Roslyn sign that stood on two wooden logs. The letters were faded but the red color was still bright. However, it did look like a caveman carved out the words with a dull knife.

     Dragging her bags against the dirt-covered parking lot, she hurried to the main office of the camp. From a distant, the race to the cabin didn't seem far but once she actually started running, she realized she terribly judged the distance. By the time she faced the entrance, she was gasping for air.

     "Davina Combs?" a lady who answered the door asked. Long locks of red hair were tied together in a high ponytail, a few baby hairs curled around her forehead. Ginger freckles covered most of her face but her ocean-blue eyes managed to shine brighter. A yellow tee-shirt with white collar and sleeve ends that read the words CAMP ROSLYN clung to her chest; the camp shirt all staff were required to wear. Davina immediately knew who this was because of her voice, she remembered the silky tone when they talked over the phone.

     "Yes, you're Ms. Falls?"

     "I sure am! Come on in, girl," Miss Falls said with a wide smile as she widened the door for Davina. Although they were aware of each other because of their phone conversation, they never met in person until now. Another staff member, Miss Penelope, had interviewed Davina when they were looking for camp counselors towards the end of spring. "Do you need some help?"

     "I'm okay, thank you," Davina replied. She entered the office and noticed that it was a single room which contained a desk that sat in front of metal shelves. Drawings, reviews, and letters from previous camp members splattered across every inch of the wall.

     "Let's finish the last of your paperwork before we bring you to the first staff meeting," Miss Falls grinned, shutting the door before heading over to her desk. She grabbed a single manila folder and opened it, pulling out two sheets of paper. "This just an indication that you are aware that you are in charge of your campers every day during the day. And so you know you can't just, like, leave whenever you feel like. If something happens and you're needed back home, a family member is required to email me and explain the situation."

     "Wow, you guys don't take this stuff lightly."

     "Absolutely. We keep in about a hundred children without their parents for two months. We have to have eyes on them at all times and we have the exact amount of people to do so. They are our responsibility."