Chapter: Five

I was walking back home with all the Brooklyn boys parading behind me. Once we got to the lodge, I was expecting the boys to go and leave me to walk home alone. Instead, I got all the Brooklyn boys walking me home. The smile never left my face until we made it to my front porch.

We arrived and I turned to them all, a sad smile on my face.

"This is where we part ways. I'm going to miss you guys."

And with that, I walked inside my house and didn't look back. I went straight up to my room and changed and just hoped that this boy I'm supposed to marry wouldn't be as bad as he could be.

It's was ruffly 2am when a knocking sound started at my window. I went over to investigate and saw Elmer.

"Elmer? What are you doing here?"

"As your best friend, I can't let you get married to stranger. So you must come with me."

"Elmer you know I can't do that."

"Can't, or won't?"

"Elmer.."

"I'm not asking again."

"Fine."

I started to make my way from my window down to Elmer on the street. Once I got there I looked at him with a questionable look.

"Do you trust me?"

"Yes Elmer  is what do you want?"

"Follow me."

He started walking toward the Brooklyn bridge. I felt bad for leaving but who knows what he's up to. When we got closer, I saw a bunch of people, no, not people. Newsies. Standing in a circle. With, is that Spot in the middle?

"What's going on here?"

All the newsies looked at me and spot walked over to me.

"I couldn't let you marry that stranger. So I'm marrying you. Right here right now."

I started tearing up a bit just thinking about how happy I was there in that moment.

"So is that how you and daddy met?"

"Well no, that was the story of my life as a newsie. And what a life it was."