ZERO: TEN

〰️➿〰️
Before I Graduate — Freshman Year
〰️➿〰️
A year or so after awakening the eyes, I can safely assume I've mastered them. Everything else is simple to train aside from the eyes' predictive ability. I had to use Clone Me's help but I think my training is too biased. I know how I operate. Even then, even if I think to my clone to act randomly, it's still something I'd think of doing, so it isn't entirely a surprise.

With nothing else to do with them, I just copy other ninja I see and then practice their moves until I can not only recreate them, but improve upon them as well.

For example, there's a certain technique used to jump on rooftops fluidly and minimize jostling bones and organs. There are ways to wall walk quickly and accurately. Throwing handheld weapons don't always require a ninja's hands to be free. Et cetera.

And I read. Read legends both true and fiction about shinobi and try to emulate their great qualities.

I have to be the best.

It's not as satisfying as I thought it'd be. My Academy classmates are smart children, but it's all too easy to tell I'm eons ahead of them in some regards. There's this sort of... gap in between us I try to pretend doesn't exist. It does. I'm not sure how to deal with it.

By the time November hits, I'm still making perfect scores, because A) we haven't even reached middle school curriculum yet and B) I studied this garbage until I was certain my brain bled, and secure the top ninja position. Nahime Mino is close on my tail, hovering strong at number three and top kunoichi.

Number two in my class is Mune Hyuuga, or Mini Neji as I nickname him. Never have we spoken a single conversation. His off-white eyes are always straining, even without the Byakugan. No matter what, he always tries to out do me, typically resorting to his own Eye Technique.

My class has begun taijutsu spars after months of prerequisites. As of now, we are only able to fight two ninja at a time per Enkou's guidance. The winner of the match gets to pick their next opponent.

Mune calls my name. Actually, he just intently stares at me, and Enkou calls my name.

I shoot a glance at Kaori (who's shouting how badly Mune's going to lose) and Shisui (whose eyes hold something intelligent behind them) before standing up and taking my spot across from the Hyuuga.

Under the pale pavement and the sky mostly painted white, Mune's yellowish white kimono-esque top and monpe are annoying to my eyes. The Sharingan itches under the surface. It would be so easy... but I cannot get stronger with hacking.

"Well then, Shinobi Hand to Hand Combat," Enkou calls.

Instinctively, we both raise two fingers, the mutual sign for Let this be a good, honorable battle: the Seal of Confrontation. My other hand is a fist behind my back, knuckles rippling adagio, and my eyes are staring dead at his core. Waiting for a muscle twitch. A tell-tale for what the Hyuuga plans to do.

"Begin!"

I expected to move first as Hyuuga are primarily defensive. Obviously Mune isn't a typical Hyuuga, as he lunges for me, a blue shoe coming up to his side and gunning for flesh. Not wanting to lose stamina—to feel pain—I do not block. My sandals scrape the floor; soon wind from the kick blows harmlessly by.

Kicking immediately. Long range. Hard hits. He is looking to finish this quickly.

Mune easily reverses and throws his heel at me, closes the distance fast with a lunge. I push my body to the blind of his kick—to face his right leg's hamstring, his back. The heel of my palm is like a rocket, aiming to crash into his shoulder blade.