THREE

〰️➿〰️
The Red Eyed Man: The Paper Boy
〰️➿〰️
For a split second, Kanka's dumbstruck face nearly has me laughing. But it turns to anger, which as me flinching instead. "Just what is this?"

The paper has the words written in bold, giant lettering and the old woman can read-even though she may not have 20/20 vision. She understands what's happening and then there's the denial that won't let her comprehend.

Okay. I expected this not to be easy.

"In lieu of recent events, I've become way too busy," I start, hands behind my back to hide my nervousness. "Rather than let my grades suffer, I've decided to request academic leave."

"Why did you go and graduate, huh? You wouldn't have been stressed. You could've completed both programs by twelve, you know!"

"Personal reasons," I say.

Kanka has to take several deep breaths. "Listen. I am still the one affording your education. I can grant you leave for five years or up until the year you become Chuunin. By then, the rank automatically implies you can handle the workload."

"Yes, Sensei." That was spelled out in the student handbook, albeit in slightly legal terms.

"You'll have to pay me stipend for not continuing immediate education. If you default on me, consider my generosity gone. You'll pay for all of your years here with your own cash in six months."

"That seems fair."

The old woman sighs. "Well then, it'll be somewhat less interesting having you on board, for all the trouble you're worth. Don't expect for the punishment to be on hold, either."

I wince. "About that, I was hoping you could pause it-just temporarily, you know?"

"No, you are misunderstanding the point of it. You committed unsupervised and unauthorized medical service that was not taught to you. If Ike had died, there was no way I could attempt to keep you on the team. It was because he survived that I was able to play it off as a statement of your talent.

"The Yuami practically own this hospital if it were based on how many members of a certain clan worked here. It's unanimous that you not be a ninja. Partially because you make them look bad, the clan without a prodigy medic in decades. Partially because you are an Uchiha."

Something about that last sentence rubs me the wrong way. It's like someone's dropped a lit match onto gasoline.

"Uchiha, Uchiha-that's just everyone's excuse," I mutter. "Nobody really cares about my family no matter how useful we try to be. It's not enough. Our predecessors have tainted the name."

"...not everyone despises you lot." Kanka's eyes are constantly moving, as if nervous. "I worked for you all, not just for the pay. Don't sell us villagers short."

"I understand. I'll still finish out my malpractice punishment as a simple medic. Have a good day."

Kanka gives me further information about payments. Seeing all those zeroes... well, this break can't last long. To say the least.

It feels weird not being able to wear my lanyard and white coat. I think about telling Uma of my leave, but I think seeing his face will only complicate whatever this feeling is within me.