Kensilina

My name is Kensilina Brown, but I much prefer Kenzie, I am 14 years old. My parents are still together but are constantly fighting. I have an older brother name Jonah. He is 18. We used to be really close, he would always let me sleep in his bed if I had nightmares and would help me with my English homework as I was dyslexic and had difficulty reading. Then Highschool changed him, he started being embarrassed by me and would always ignore me or call me a baby if I got scared. I want my old brother back. He is in year twelve now so soon he might move out, I really hope not.

I live in Canberra, Australia. The capital city. It is surprisingly small, I loved it, it was home. Then my parents decided that a new start was needed as staying here just caused more fights, i don't see how that's logical but hey they are my parents so I have to listen, so we were moving to Sydney, the place most people thought was the capital, the place that was extremely crowded. Plus it was currently June so I would be starting at a new school at the end of term 2. Not happy jan!

I packed the entirety of my wardrobe into one suitcase, and filled another one with sentimental belongings along with my copy of  'fish in a tree' by Linda Mullaly Hunt. My favourite book that Jonah used to read to me. A few things were left behind as they were apparently unnecessary such as my keyboard and my soccer goals. Luckily I convinced mum to let me bring my guitar. My family didn't really think I was serious about music but it was honestly my passion, it's just that if I played in front of them I was sure that they would just say Jonah is better at music, it happened quite a bit, I got a math award then Jonah decided he would join the debate team and got two awards through that and got praised by my parents. I started playing basketball and my team won the grand final, then Jonah decided to play and won the grand final as well as getting m.v.p. Once again I was second best.

We put our suitcases in the boot of our s.u.v and a moving van collected our furniture and other things like that. Then we started the 3 hour drive. I was sat against the back window my brother on the other side with a pile of pillows on the middle seat separating us. It was 8:00 pm and after packing I was pretty tired, so I soon fell asleep, when I was younger I used to fall asleep on my brothers shoulder but if I did that now he would just push my head off. So I stead I just let my head rest on the window sill constantly being hit as the car travelled along bumpy roads.
————————————————————————————————

I woke up to my parents fighting in the front and looked out my window, it was dark out with just the street lights lighting up the city, even though it was so late the streets were chockablock with tourists. It was quite overwhelming to be frank, if there were this many people at night imagine how busy this place would be during the day.
My dad made eye contact with me through the mirror of the car stopping their fight and said in quite a sarcastic tone "good morning"
I simply rolled my eyes at his statement and he chuckled before returning his eyes to the road, my mother deciding to face away from him giving him the cold shoulder.
"Hey that's the school you'll be going to, I hear it's pretty good, it has a great soccer team that you can join and apparently a good music department but I think soccer will be your best choice love." My dad said pointing to the building next to the lights we were currently stopped at.
I stared at it eyes wide, it was like quadruple the size of my old school, this moving thing was all starting to sink in.

We pulled up to a cute little cabin styled house, my mum shook Jonah awake and he just grumbled in return. We got out of the car and grabbed our suitcases. Mum and dad unlocked the front door and walked in. Then Jonah raced to the door and slammed it in my face, but when my dad cleared his throat behind him he then opened the door and offered to take my suitcase. Even with his dagger eyes searing into my brain, I still felt like he was kinda being a genuine good brother, for a split second.

The house was pretty cool, I didn't take much notice as I just wanted sleep, it was Friday night so we still had the weekend to unpack and then...... ugh school.