Getting Lost

Chapter 4: Getting Lost

Hiccup returned returned home from an evening flight with Toothless to find Eira leaning against his hut, arms crossed and glaring at the ground. He had not seen her often in the past week aside from meals and his daily checkup on her. She always claimed she was fine, but he could tell she struggled with the task she had been given - or more like chosen.

"Eira? Is everything alright?" He approached cautiously, having learned how defensive she could get.

Her head snapped up upon hearing her name, and she plastered on a smile. "Hey, Hiccup. Everything's fine. I was just reviewing my day."

"That's good. How did it go with Snotlout today?"

"It was...eventful." She lost her smile as she shifted nervously. "I'm starting to understand him better - I think - but communication is still difficult."

"Don't worry too much about it. He can be difficult for the rest of us to handle."

Eira frowned. "So I've noticed."

Hiccup sensed something deeper in her response, but for the life of him, he could not figure out what it could be. "There's no shame in giving up, you know. We can find someone else to be your partner."

Eira's eyes widened, and she held up her hands in protest. "No! I can do this, really. He's not that bad."

Hiccup gave her a long look. "Maybe so, but that doesn't mean you'll work well together. You're so different."

"Different isn't bad. It can be a positive if we can make it work. I know my ideas can win..." She looked off to the side as if gazing at something only she could see.

Hiccup was not convinced, but he did not want to crush her optimism. "For your sake, I hope you're right."

Eira gave him a small smile. "Thanks" She paused. "I'm going to say goodnight to Swiftwings before heading inside. I'll see you later, Hiccup."

Hiccup nodded. "Good night, Eira." After watching her leave, he turned to his hut and nearly walked into Asmund. Startled, he took a step back. "I'm sorry; I didn't see you there."

The man leaned against the hut with his arms crossed, an unreadable expression on his face. "That girl is stubborn when her mind is set on something."

Hiccup frowned. How long had he been watching? "She and Snotlout have that in common at least, which may be a problem."

A ghost of a smile appeared on the man's face. "Do not worry too much, sir. She can take care of herself."

Hiccup wondered if Asmund came from the same background as Eira. The older man certainly did not have the same air of innocence as his companion. What exactly was Torvald like, anyway? "Has she had experience dealing with... difficult... people?"

"She has learned the art of diplomacy," Asmund said carefully. "However, her experience is in mediating as a third party and not as a recipient of someone's attitude herself."

"That makes sense. Do you really think she's ready for this?"

"Is anyone truly ready for life? I admit she has been sheltered, but the only way she'l grow in resilience is by facing adversity head on. In that, I have no doubt she will succeed." Asmund straightened and strode past Hiccup.  "Have a good night, sir."

"Good night." Hiccup stared after him, pondering his words.

***

"Come on, admit it: you had fun this week!"