Exposed

Chapter 21: Exposed

Hiccup enjoyed getting to know Haldor. The young Viking was just as friendly and helpful as his sister. This  made Hiccup curious to meet the girl's other siblings as well. He wondered what it was like to have a sibling and then be separated from them. The closest thing he had was Toothless.

The day after the Fireworm incident, Hiccup accompanied Eira and Haldor back to Berk to introduce the latter to his father. He was kicked out of the Great Hall while the two of them talked to Stoick. He was told it was a diplomatic meeting.

Finally, after an hour of discussion, he was let inside. He immediately sensed tension in the room as he approached the three Vikings. Something was wrong. For one, Eira would not look at him. And his father had that look about him.

"Is everything alright?" Hiccup said cautiously.

"Everything is fine," Stoick assured him. "These two would simply like a word with you."

"Just a quick one," Haldor said with a weak smile.

"Okay..." Hiccup said. He glanced at Eira, but she still avoided his gaze. "What's this about?"

"It's about us. We'd like to share something personal with you."

Hiccup scrunched his eyebrows in confusion. He did not like the sound of that. "Are you sick or something?"

"Perhaps it is best if you get straight to the point," Stoick said. "I will leave you alone." As he departed the Great Hall, the Viking who had arrived with Haldor (Hiccup had never caught his name) entered.

"Your highness," he said, his eyes on Haldor. "I need to know-"

Haldor shook his head and made a swiping motion in front of his neck. Eira became white.

"'Your highness?'" Hiccup repeated. "What's going on here?"

"I'm sorry," said the newcomer. "I thought he knew."

"Knew what?"

"Please give us a minute," Haldor said.

The man nodded an exited the Great Hall.

Hiccup rounded on the siblings, his arms crossed. "I want an explanation now."

Eira and Haldor exchanged looks. Eira finally looked at him and said, "There is something about myself I haven't told you. I - " She glanced at her brother. "Our father is the king of Torvald."

Hiccup stared at her dumbly. "That means you're..."

"I'm a princess, yes." She took a deep breath. "And Haldor is the future king."

Hiccup's mind spun with the news. "Are you serious? Why didn't you tell me?"

Eira's eyes clouded in sadness as she gazed at him. "I'm sorry, Hiccup. In Torvald, the royal family is not allowed to do anything exciting because we must be protected at all costs. We don't have any real friends because they only see the title, not the person. I thought all of you would treat me the same way if you knew the truth. That's why I hid it."

"I guess I can understand that. But we we know you now, Eira. Why didn't you tell us sooner?"

"It... never seemed like the right time."

"Once you begin a lie, it is hard to stop it," Haldor said. "It is the path of least resistance."

"Honestly, I'm still afraid of how everyone will react," Eira admitted. "Haldor convinced me to tell you, but some of the others can be a bit... dramatic."