Deception

Chapter 18: Deception

"Today is the day!" Dagur loudly announced after climbing onto Windshear behind Heather. They were on their way to meet Eira at their secret island, and he wanted to get his excess energy out of his system beforehand. "I am going to ride that dragon!"

Heather looked back at him with a worried expression. "Just be careful, Dagur. She's still one of them."

"It'll be fine. That dragon won't let me on her back unless she trusts me."

"And why do you want her to trust you exactly? We're allied with dragon hunters."

"So are you, but you have a dragon. Rules are meant to be broken, little sis." Still, it felt good to have her worry about him. He had never had that before. And Eira cared too. Who did not care was Ryker. And just about everyone else on this ship. He had to do something about that.

They rode in silence the rest of the way. Eira and Swiftwings waited on the shore like usual. Heather gave them a nod of acknowledgement as Dagur dismounted. Then she was gone.

"Evening, Dagur," Eira said.

Dagur smiled at her. "Hello, Eira." He turned to the large, red dragon. "And how are you today, Swiftwings?"

The Windwalker snorted.

"She's getting used to you," Eira said. "Though, I'm not sure that's a good thing."

"Of course it is." He held the dragon's steady gaze. He understood the girl's concern, but hadn't she noticed he never shot at her when the hunters and riders were engaged in battle? If he wanted to win over this dragon, he could not scare her like that. He had a goal, and he would accomplish it. He lifted his hand and held it near her face.

"You are getting better at being calm and quiet," Eira observed. "It's alright, Swiftwings. He won't hurt you."

Dagur smiled. She did understand. He risked moving his hand slowly towards the dragon until he touched her snout. He wanted to shout in glee but someone managed to reign in the impulse. He ran his hand over her head, enjoying the feeling of her cool scales.

"Good job, Dagur. You did it!"

Dagur looked at her with a grin. "Do you think she will let me ride her now?"

Eira hesitated. "That might be too big of a step for you to ride her alone, but she might allow you to ride behind me."

Dagur nodded. "That sounds fun too!"

Eira chuckled lightly. "Alright. Let's give it a try." She walked over to the dragon and soothingly rubbed her neck. "Okay, girl, we're going to go on a little ride with our friend, Dagur."

Swiftwings kept her eyes on Dagur while Eira climbed onto his back. Once settled, Eira held her hand out to him. Dagur accepted and let her help him hoist himself up behind her. He let out a breath of relief when the dragon did not throw him off her back.

"Good," Eira said. "Let's take a nice flight around the island. Hold on tight, Dagur. And remember to be quiet."

"I got it," Dagur said in his best quiet voice. At the beginning, he did not understand their aversion to constant noise, but he had come to appreciate the peacefulness of silence. As long as it did not last too long.

He held in a gasp as the dragon spread her wings and lifted them into the air. He had flown plenty of times on Windshear, but this somehow felt different. There was no goal, no destination in mind. They were simply all enjoying the ride. Dagur smiled as he took in the scenery, noting how different it looked from up above. And the breeze felt nice.