Going For It

Chapter 54: Going For It

"Good morning, Runa!" Dagur boom when the girl entered the main part of his house from the room she had been sharing with Heather since they learned she was pregnant. "Is Heather up yet?"

"Yes, and she's already gone," Runa replied. "She must have left early."

Dagur nodded. "I'll catch up with her later. So, how are things going with Viggo?"

Runa gave him a sad smile. "Not good, unfortunately. He's still ignoring all my letters."

"Don't worry too about it. Eira thinks he's try to protect you."

"I suppose that could be the case."

"And Eira promised to help reach him!"

Runa smiled. "You think pretty highly of her, don't you?"

"Of course. Eira is the best! She's the first person who believed in me and cared about me - aside from my dad, I suppose." Despite any problems they may have, he knew he would always be grateful to her. He could not imagine what his life would be like if he had never met her.

"Heather told me you're in love with her."

Dagur's smile fell. "Why would Heather go around talking about something like that? Is nothing private anymore?"

Runa shrugged. "She was just worried. Besides, I kind of figured it out on my own. I thought there was something going on between you two when I first saw you together."

"Well, there's nothing going on! Not anymore. I'm going to be married, you know, to someone who is not Eira!"

"That's why Heather is worried."

Dagur scoffed. "What does she know? She hasn't been around Mala long enough to judge her. Once they spend enough time together, I'm sure she'll come around."

Runa shook her head. "I don't think Mala is the problem, Dagur. What is a problem is how fast you're moving. Are you sure you're not just using Mala to get over Eira?"

"Not 'just!' I do have real feelings for Mala, and so what if part of my motivation is to get over Eira? I'm not like you, Runa. I can't wait years for someone to come around. I've been going crazy these last few months! I had to do something." If he had not met Mala, he was not sure what he would have done, but it probably would have been something reckless and stupid.

Despite his fierce tone, Runa remained calm as she gazed at him. "Who said it would be years? Heather also told me she broke up with her boyfriend. She's available now."

"And I'm supposed to just dump Mala for Eira?"

"If she's the one you really want, then yes. Otherwise you're hurting yourself and Mala in the long run. You both deserve better."

Dagur's resolve weakened as Runa's words struck his heart. He looked away so she could not see the sadness on his face. "It doesn't matter if Eira is available right now. She was available when I first pursued her, but she didn't choose me. And it wasn't that Snotlout was a much better choice. She had problems with me. That hasn't changed."

"You don't know that," Runa said softly. "If her opinion changed about Snotlout, it could have changed about you as well. You may have even played a part in the breakup."

Dagur took a deep breath. "If anything has changed that much, she can tell me herself. But I'm not going to seek her out. I've already risked a lot because of her, and I can't go through that again."

"What about true love conquering all?"

Dagur smiled at her to ease the worry in her eyes. "Of course your love will win. You and Viggo proved you can hang on long-term even if you're not together. It's different with Eira and me. There's too much uncertainty. If I could have something good with Mala, I need to go after it."